Natalie Abernethy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Natalie Abernethy

Age: 19

Major: Kinetic Imaging

Hometown: Ashburn, VA

Is there anywhere people can check out your work?

I have an animation in the Anderson Gallery that’s part of a juried exhibition for VCU art students and The Depot is displaying KI student work which features one of my interactive installations.

What inspired the exhibits?

With the interactive installation I wanted to make something using a theremin which is a sensory musical instrument. The old sci-fi and horror films I grew up watching used theremins to create UFO/alien noises, so the theremin was the main focus of that piece. With the animation I wanted to make people melt and then I did. I matched that with this utopia ideal mid-century America to create clashing visuals.

Who are your inspirations?

So many things! Dali’s surrealism and Roy Lichtenstein, who’s work focuses on the mid-century, inspired parts of my animation and then I also love the animation in movies like Coraline and Paranorman.

What’s your dream job?

Working at Laika which is the animation studio that made the movies I mentioned. Their style’s different than mine though. Anything would be cool. Being an independent animator or doing special effects. I’ll see where I end up.

What do you want people to walk away with after seeing your most recent exhibits?

With the theremin piece I was people to feel curious like how it works and what it is. I also want to increase interest in interactive art. Sometimes it’s ok to touch the art, and I hope playing with the theremin in my piece helps people get that.

If you could be anyone for a day who would you be?

Annie Clark, the musician St. Vincent. She’s awesome! 

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!