My Transition from a Private High School to a Public University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

To describe the leap between high school and college as gigantic would be an understatement. For many students, the transition involves major milestones, such as living without adult supervision for the first time and unlearning the five paragraph essay. For me, the progression from high school to college also entailed some pretty extreme environmental changes, as I had to adapt to a style of education which I had never been a part of before.

Until college, I had only attended private, Christian schools. While I recognize the undeniable privilege associated with circumventing the public school system, there were definitely downsides to feeling like the only non-Christian, the only democrat and the only LGBTQ+ individual in my entire school. My guilt for falling into all of these categories consumed me, and I couldn’t help but feel like an outsider.

But that all changed when I arrived at VCU. Not only were students permitted to be deviant from the norm – it was actually encouraged. Finally, I was free to voice my viewpoints in class discussions without an overwhelming fear of being condemned by students or teachers. I was able to receive a more comprehensive education that acknowledged various worldviews and lifestyles, without one way of thinking being shoved down my throat. I even got to learn about evolution for the first time in my life. These were all very stark changes from my high school experiences, but they were changes I had been impatiently awaiting for years.

Unfortunately, there are still times that I catch myself inadvertently feeling ashamed or attempting to hide who I am. I do tend to revert to my high school ways when I return to my hometown over the holidays, afraid of who I may bump into and what they might say. But at the end of the day, I can pride myself in knowing that attending a public university has given me a massive advantage over those who have chosen not to expose themselves to diversity.

Although I understand that no school, whether public or private, is perfect, VCU is the most significant step up from my Christian high school that I ever could have asked for. The character development that I’ve undergone over the last three semesters has been enormous, and I can’t thank VCU enough for it.

Photo Credits: Cover, 1, 2

Rachel is a 19-year-old writing, makeup, and nap enthusiast. She is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University, where she's majoring in Print and Online Journalism. She currently writes for Her Campus at VCU and The Commonwealth Times.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!