My Transition From a Coffee Person to a Tea Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I used to be a huge coffee drinker, unable to start my day effectively without having it first thing in the morning. Don’t get me wrong, I still love coffee, but I’ve found that more often than not, I’ve started opting to drink tea instead. Drinking coffee every morning wasn’t a totally conscious decision I was making. I usually drank it because it was a habit and simply part of my routine that launched me into the start of my day by providing some consistency. Since I’ve started drinking tea more instead, I find myself overall much more relaxed and at peace.

One of the main reasons I’ve made tea my go-to drink is the health benefits. Various studies have shown that drinking certain teas can help boost your immune system and fight off inflammation. Coffee is often associated with feelings of productivity and alertness while, at least for me, tea is more calming, which is more appealing as I’ve gotten older. When I first really started drinking tea, I pretty much stuck to the basics and only drank green tea and earl grey. I wasn’t very adventurous, and it took a while for me to try new kinds and expand my tastes. 

One of the benefits of having an older sister is being able to share each others’ things. My sister studied abroad in Ireland during college and ever since has been annually ordering loose tea from one of her favorite shops there. Feeding into my borderline obsession with trying new teas, my parents bought me some loose tea and a tea maker for my birthday this year, which was really special. If you’re ever having trouble with finding a present for someone, I recommend gifting tea because it won’t take up any extra space since it’s gone once you finish it, but it can also be personalized to make it more genuine. Brewing tea has now become something I look forward to every day and is one of my favorite but simplest pleasures.

As cheesy as it may sound, for me, making tea is an experience. It’s not all about actually drinking the beverage, but rather the soothing ritual and mindful process it takes to get it ready.  It can be fun deciding what to drink and what you’re in the mood for if you collect a variety of different types. I can’t pinpoint or describe exactly what it is, but there is something so calming about intentionally going through the steps to brew your tea, and it’s even better if you have somebody to share it with.

If you think you may be too dependent on coffee and are looking for a change in beverage to give you a health kick, I recommend making the switch to tea instead. I never thought that I would be more of a tea than a coffee person, but I admit that I am absolutely hooked. The next time you go to your local grocery store, I recommend perusing the tea aisle, as you may be surprised by how many different types there are, and it could be a fun experiment to try a bunch and see what you like the best. 

Caroline is a student at Virginia Commonwealth University pursuing a degree in Information Systems. She enjoys reading, running and spending quality time with her dog.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!