This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I had no clue that August 2022 would be a pivotal moment in my college years — nor did I know that the pivotal movement would be spent on Capitol Hill. If you told me that spring I would be in congressional hearings and briefings by Halloween, I would’ve thought it was a joke. But there I was, on the Hill, serving the very district I spent most of my childhood years in, witnessing history within the walls and meeting the very people who were creating change behind closed doors. 

From the very first day, there was always someone new to meet and something new to learn. The first things were how to answer a phone, sort mail, take notes, speak to people and find your way to the office (that felt nearly impossible depending on where you were on the Hill between the basement, many connecting buildings and tunnels, getting lunch felt like a daily maze). But, these little tasks I eventually learned to manage became just a small part of the work that I was going to witness in the months ahead. 

Here’s how I tried to make the most of my time on the Hill.

I was quickly met with imposter syndrome; just in awe and simple denial that this space was meant for me to be in. On the Hill, you’re surrounded by hundreds of other people, many of whom have the same background as you or want to change the world just like you. I often had to find ways to ground myself after work and throughout the day, everything can move so fast during the experience.

During lunch, I would go on walks outside or get lost in the halls of the Hill. Through talking with other interns in my program who were experiencing the same thing, and recognizing my worth as a woman of color on the Hill, I learned that I did not have to mask who I was and that helped me combat my imposter syndrome.

Soaking it all in. Being a Hilltern doesn’t last forever, so I tried to soak it all in. During my first few weeks, I was exposed to congressional meetings and briefings on a daily basis. During the briefings, I tried to take in as much information as possible. 

As a political science major, I was swooning. Working on environmental, criminal justice and education legislation were some of my highlights. I will also never forget speaking with a constituent who suffered from homelessness. Her story pushed for efforts to address the lack of housing in her district.

Being able to be in the room where people’s concerns are turned into policy solutions shaped my view on how politics is conducted and gave me a scope of how Congress is run. Not only that, I witnessed history weekly, from former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s last speech on the floor (I stood outside the chamber door), to the Congressional transition after an election. 

Network. Network. Network. Think of the Hill as a college campus, in its simplest social structure. You have a cafeteria where you meet up with your friends or co-workers to discuss your day. You have the after-work activities and you have the associations and caucuses too (in college known as clubs and organizations), with members who share a common interest.

These associations are a networking hub, and a way to truly connect with other staffers on the Hill who share the same passions and interests that help navigate the complicated political realm. There are leadership roles in these organizations, and they also offer personal development opportunities. Attending association events exposed me to the fun and passionate side of the Hill.

One association that poured into the interns they came across, was the Congressional Black Associates. It felt like an incomparable support space for Black staffers and interns on the Hill. Nonetheless, congressional staff organizations were just one way to make friends, learn more about different job positions on the Hill, develop your skills and network.

As a Hilltern I was bombarded with several opportunities to go and chat with staffers, interns and other professionals around D.C. I was also encouraged to go on coffees with professionals, which were like meetups where you learn more about one another and their work. I was able to connect with some of my favorite journalists and have some thoughtful conversations with staffers about all kinds of policy at on and off-the-Hill events. 

All in all, to say the least and not too much, I am so grateful for my time on the Hill. To be surrounded and poured into by so many passionate people was an honor and left me with the yearning to pay it forward, and always serve the people. I now have nothing but respect for the staffers behind closed doors who are making history and legislation every day.

Leaving the Hill, I was able to develop my professional skills beyond a resume and cover letter, and build my confidence to take on my next career space. If you are passionate about politics, public service with a strong work ethic, give it a try, there’s something for everyone to learn on the Hill and when you go just be sure to make the most of it.

Tarazha "Tee" Jenkins is currently a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University, majoring in Political Science, African American Studies, and Broadcast Journalism. She has a passion for multimedia storytelling and enjoys writing about culture and politics.