My Opinion on the Guns vs. People Debate After the Parkland Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

*The views expressed in this articles are the writer’s own and not indicative of the views of Her Campus or Her Campus at VCU*

At approximately 2:20 p.m. on Feb. 14, 2018, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. He proceeded to pull fire alarms in the hallway to draw students out of their classrooms before opening fire on the unsuspecting students. A total of 17 students and faculty were killed during the shooting and many more were injured during the incident. Police arrested Cruz after the shooting and he was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder. As of right now, Cruz has pleaded guilty to all of the charges in order to avoid the possibility of a death sentence.

This is one of 18 total school shootings that have taken place in 2018. These school shootings have sparked a huge debate with the public about guns versus people. The debate features the one side stating that guns are the reason for the deaths, and the other side thinking that the people behind the guns are the reasons for the deaths. These beliefs and debates have mainly spanned from the views on gun control that are going around the country.

My opinion on the guns versus people debate, however, is one that I know many people my age disagree with. After being in college for almost two years, I have seen that many people under the age of 25 see the world in an idealistic way. It’s a way in which we would deplete the country of its ammunition, therefore making the world a much better place. To me, they are wrong. By taking away the guns of those who use them responsibly, and to protect themselves and their families, you are just increasing the number of people that will be killed in the event that one of these events happens again. There is no guarantee that gun violence will cease in this country. There is no guaranteed, permanent outcome that will come from keeping guns or getting rid of them. In the end, it is the decision of the individual wielding the weapon to decide how to use it. Now, with all of that being said, I do agree with the United States needing to create stricter gun laws for individuals purchasing firearms.

The idea of changing gun laws makes everyone crazy. Whether it is for better or for worse, everyone is entitled their own opinion in this abstract world that we live in. Whatever it is that people choose as the right decision, people will be people and we are all there to support each other through this crazy time in history for our country.

Photo Credit: 1, 2Cover

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!