This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, I’ve gone through my playlist and picked out some of my favorite songs, of all vibes, by powerful Black artists. As someone who loves music and pays special attention to the meaning of the songs, I think there’s something in this list for everyone.

“Realer” by Megan the Stallion

Let’s start out with a bang. “Realer,” from Megan thee Stallion’s album “Fever,” is my go-to gym song. I feel like I can lift anything with my girl Megan hyping me up. Personally, I am a broke college student, but when this song is blasting in my headphones, I feel like I could treat myself to a nice post-gym meal. Also, TikTok hasn’t overplayed this song or made me sick of it yet, which you can’t say about a lot of Megan’s songs since she blew up in 2019. 

“I Hate Everybody” by Halsey

The song “I Hate Everybody” from Halsey’s most recent album, “Manic,” is the kind of song that I scream sing when I’m not necessarily bitter but not happy either. Not only is it lyrically clever, but it’s upbeat enough to keep your energy high. It’s just an all-around great going-on-a-drive-with-no-destination song. 

“Hundred” by Khalid

Guys… this song. “Hundred” from Khalid’s album in 2019, “Free Spirit,” is a song that saves me when my motivation is low, or I’m having a bad day. It’s the perfect feel-good song. I don’t know how to explain it, but he’s allowing himself to feel his sad feelings without that hindering his ability to have a good and productive day. 

“Never Ending” by Rihanna

Ah, yes. The beloved Queen RiRi… I miss her so much. We all know her last album, “Anti,” was a hit, but one of the hidden gems on it is the song “Never Ending.” A change of pace from most of the other songs on this album, this song is slower and sweeter, and I love everything about it. The vocals and the instrumentals are just beautiful, and even more so are the romantic lyrics. To me, this song is about falling in love again after being hurt before, and I think it’s the perfect song for when you’re missing Rihanna and are wishing she’d release more music. 

“Jump Out the Window” by Big Sean

Personally, I love Big Sean’s voice. From his 2016 album, “I Decided,” “Jump Out the Window” is a classic good-vibes song. His softer voice, along with this strong beat, is perfect for when I’m just relaxing and wanting to listen to something more R&B. This song satisfies all those requirements, and, in addition to that, it’s kind of a love song which always a mood. 

“If I Were A Boy” by Beyonce

Finally, we have come across a more heartbreaking song for those sad days we all have. “If I Were a Boy” from “I Am…Sasha Fierce” is painfully clever with the lyrics, and of course, we can’t forget Beyonce’s rich voice. This is a good crying or shower song if you’re looking for something with more of a story. It’s always fun to just listen to a song and not think, but if there is one to pay attention to the lyrics, this is it.  

Claire is a student at Virginia Commonwealth University, double majoring in Political Science and History.
VCU Contributor Account