This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I have a very love-hate relationship with my skin, as many 20 somethings do. One day it is clear and radiant, and everything is fine, and the next it’s disgusting and oily and I want to hide from the world. One thing I am really bad at is consistency with my skin. Washing my face twice daily and then doing an extensive skincare routine doesn’t always fit into my daily life, so I end up neglecting my skin and it retaliates by acting up. An easy way to fix this is to establish a routine that you follow every day, twice a day and stick to it, but being in college and working multiple jobs, skincare tends to be easier said than done. One of the things that have streamlined the process is utilizing skincare tools that make it easy for me to clean my face or target specific problems such as acne scars. Aside from being a skincare addict, many of the tools can be found at stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls, even on Groupon if you’re lucky, so don’t think luxury skincare has to be something that breaks the bank.

Face mask and other spa items
Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

Facial Steamer

My facial steamer is a go-to for my oily skin. It helps open up my pores before I use a face mask or any other deeply hydrating treatment so my skin can absorb the full benefits of whatever products I am layering on. It also helps with unclogging my pores and to make my skin feel fresh. I typically use this two to three times weekly after cleansing my skin.

Derma-Roller

My derma-roller was my Godsend in high-school when I was going through puberty and had horrible acne. I couldn’t help myself from picking and poking at my skin, which led to hyperpigmentation and acne scarring on my, specifically my forehead. A derma-roller uses small needles to prick the skin and create micro-injuries, which causes the skin to heal itself and produce more collagen, plumping the skin and healing the ‘wounds’. When rolling, you should follow a star-like shape, going vertically, horizontally and diagonally across the surface of the skin, being sure not to apply too much pressure. Typically, this treatment is done at spas or by a dermatologist, but being in college doesn’t necessarily provide room in the budget for frequent trips for the sake of my skin, so being able to do this process at home is definitely worthwhile. It should be used in conjunction with a serum, which aids in the absorption of the product. Start out with smaller needles, typically 0.25 mm, and use it no more than twice a week.

Pore Vacuum

A pore vacuum works the same way a regular vacuum does, it applies pressure and a vacuum seal to the skin to draw out impurities like oil and blackheads. This is a great solution if you are prone to picking at bumps or touching your face because it doesn’t worsen the wound the way popping a pimple would. It is a safe alternative and is perfect for oily skin types.

Facial Massager

Regular facial massages can aid in the circulation of the skin, which can reduce puffiness and inflammation, so investing in a facial massager is well worth the money. They come in many varieties, the most popular right now being the jade rollers that are seen across Instagram, but you can also find electric ones that cool or heat and vibrate, or even a cold spoon or your fingertips if you don’t want to spend the money. Using a facial massager over a sheet mask can aid in the absorption of the product, as well as when used when applying serums and moisturizers. Since it is purely topical, facial massagers can be used daily or as needed to help firm your skin and give it a little pick-me-up.

Maia is a senior at VCU double majoring in Print/Online Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. She loves to write about fashion and beauty and spends her free time reading, writing, and taking naps.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!