margot robbie in a barbie movie
margot robbie in a barbie movie
Warner Bros

My Favorite Movie Costume Designs Of 2023 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Poor Things

I genuinely loved every minute the main character was on the screen, yes because of her personality, but more so for the exquisite outfit she continuously wore. For an eccentric and bizarre movie, the costumes do more than keep up with its tempo. Although the movie takes place in the Victorian era, the costumes do not accurately portray that, which makes it fun and shows that the movie isn’t strict with it being a period piece. For example, I’m pretty sure a Victorian woman wouldn’t wear bright yellow shorts outdoors. Holly Waddington, Poor Things’ costume designer, included unseen layers, strong colors, and uncommon fabrics together to help push the movie’s image further and step out of the Victorian era. I love the sleeves that are seen in almost all of the main character’s outfits. They stood out every time and it was very alluring, I simply couldn’t take my eyes off those dresses. 

Pricilla

Despite having a low budget and only 30 days of filming, Stacey Battat, the costume designer of Pricilla, gave me everything for it to be on this list (not that she cares). From the coquette aesthetic in Priscilla’s younger years to recreating Pricilla and Elvis’ iconic looks, it was truly amazing to see. The movie helped the public put in perspective how young Pricilla was when she met Elvis and the costumes helped push that even more. We see how Pricilla gradually grows up and how Elvis has an effect on her sense of style. Throughout the movie, my friends and I would gasp and cheer on her outfits which is something I haven’t experienced much this year, and which is why Pricilla easily became my favorite styling of the year. 

Barbie

To put it simply, my expectations going into the movie were high. I loved Barbie growing up and her outfits were everything to me, I was truly ready to turn into the movie’s biggest critique if the outfits were not on point. Alas, I did none of that because this movie had me glued to my seat for all the right reasons. Not just the main character but everyone single-handedly had great outfits. I watched this in the theater and to sum up my experience it was like I was in a haunted house constantly screaming (out of joy of course) at each costume running up to me. I loved every minute of it. Jacqueline Durran, the costume designer of Barbie, helped restore my faith in fun costume designs. 

Honorable mentions: 

Samah Elhassan is a writer at the Her Campus at VCU and she is very eager to share her ideas and broaden her skills in writing. She is currently a senior who is majoring in biomedical engineering. She loves the idea of using biomedical sciences to help improve the lives of others. Although this is her last year she is still eager to learn more within the field. In her free time, Samah likes to watch movies, hang out with friends, and play games. She doesn't have a favorite movie but tends to recommend Perfect Blue to anyone who asks. One fun fact about Samah is that she likes to crochet. She has made scarves and table clothes for friends and hopes to crochet clothes in the future.