This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The best season is approaching! Here a few ideas of things you can do during the summer to help you have the best summer ever while making sure you don’t spend crazy amounts of money.

Go on a Hike

Hiking is a great way to spend a summer day and usually free, and if not, it’s really cheap. Going hiking with friends will help you connect with nature and your friends while you get a workout in! You can also get really cute pictures for Instagram and Snapchat during the hike. If you live in a place where it gets very hot, don’t forget to stay hydrated, bring water and snacks and don’t forget to wear sunscreen. 

Have a Picnic

Going on picnics is a super fun and cute idea to do with your friends or your significant other, and you don’t have to make it super fancy. To make sure that no one will have to spend a crazy amount of money on the picnic make sure you assign each person what to bring, grab a picnic cloth or even some bedsheets if you don’t have one, head to a pretty park and enjoy an afternoon of good food with friends.  

Have a Water Balloon Fight

Having water balloon fights is a great alternative for people who don’t have a pool to do on hot summer days! Grab a group of your closest friends, fill up some water balloons and it is guaranteed that everyone will have fun.  

Go Strawberry Picking 

Strawberry picking is also a fun idea that will result in cute pictures for Instagram. Most strawberry farms have cheap entrance fees, and in the end, you just have to pay for the strawberries you got. But trust me on this one, they’ll be some of the most amazing and fresh tasting strawberries you’ve ever eaten. 

Start a Garden

Gardening is another activity that will leave you with fresh tasting fruits and vegetables! If you have a little (or a lot) of free time during the summer I would definitely recommend you start a garden, it can be a little challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it you will realize how fun it can be, and once your garden starts to grow, it will be one of the best feelings ever. Gardening is also great because it will get you organic fruits and vegetables for super cheap.

Go on a Sunset Bike Ride

One of my favorite things to do during the summer is going for bike rides when the sun is about to set, this way you don’t have to worry about it being super hot. Biking is a great way to get some exercise while having fun, especially if you do this with some of your friends. Oh, and you will probably be able to get some cute pictures too.

Hopefully, you’ll be able to do some of these activities during the summer! Don’t forget to stay safe no matter what you are doing. 

Fran Ramos is a VCU student where she is majoring in Public Relations. She spends most of her time trying new Pho restaurants with her friends or listening to music. She is a mom to three cats, Lorenzo, Teresa and Oswald and loves to spam her social media followers with pictures of them.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!