This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Being in college makes you think about how much you really do not want kids right now and the methods you can use to prevent that. Well, at least for me, it does. My experience taught me that when choosing a contraceptive method, it is best to listen to your body and try what’s best for you. Just because something works for somebody else, does not mean it’s going to work for you. 

The day I first started my period, I immediately wanted to do something to stop/ease the pain. My periods were always excruciating, so I researched ways to stop it. The no. 1 recommendation was birth control. So then I begged my Mom to put me on it, but she didn’t until I was 17 years old. The first method I was on was Depo-Provera, also known as the shot. I absolutely loved it at first, and my periods disappeared completely. However after a couple of months had passed, I realized how much it had affected me. I had gained 70 pounds in less than a year and my mood was constantly changing. 

I had been on it for about two years as my Mother would not let me get it changed because she was worried I wouldn’t be able to remember taking a pill. My self-confidence dropped drastically, as everyone had pointed out my weight gain. Others would constantly recommend ways for me to lose weight. Even my doctor refused to acknowledge that my weight gain and other symptoms were due to the hormonal imbalance that the birth control caused.

Plan B
Alexandra Redmond / Spoon

Finally, after coming to college, I switched to the pill after my new doctor actually listened to my grievances with my old birth control. This method also caused terrible side effects such as sore breasts, moodiness and the awful cramps I had before returning. Again, I was looking for a new method. 

My new doctor, then, recommended the Intrauterine Device (IUD). She stated that she also had one in place. She listed the benefits being no periods, less hormonal and having strong protection. I got the one that lasts five years as it is also the smallest out of all of the options. The day I got it done was interesting. I was told to take ibuprofen before getting it put in and prepare for a fair amount of pain. I did not expect it to be that bad, but it was probably the worst experience I have had in my life. It hurt to the point where I felt paralyzed. I also expected the pain to go away after a couple of days, but I was sore for a solid month after getting it put in. 

However, I have had it in for over a year now and it is probably the best method I have tried thus far. I barely get any symptoms, besides maybe a little cramp now and then. Even when I menstruate, it’s for a day or two. I have steadily been losing weight as my metabolism has been picking back up from being off the shot. 

Kaitlyn Austin is an alumnus of Virginia Commonwealth University, with a bachelor's in political science with a concentration in civil rights. She is passionate about social justice, advocacy, and astrology.