Macy Abbott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Macy Abbott

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Hometown: Fauquier County, Va.

Major: Exercise and Kinesiology Sciences (with a Religious Studies minor)

Relationship Status: Taken

How are you involved at VCU or in the community?

I’m an anatomy preceptor, and I’ve done a few things for Her Campus (she was our yoga teacher and a guest contributor!)…but that’s pretty much my only involvement.

Favorite experience at VCU so far:

I really like when the end of everyone’s leases come about, and all my friends change houses, because I really like seeing the inside of all the old homes in Richmond.

Favorite spot in Richmond:

I have a tree in Maymont that might be my number one, but my yoga studio, For the Love of Chocolate, and Ellwood Thompsons all come in at a close second.

How do you spend your free time?

I workout and read a lot, but lately I’ve been spending it knitting. I’ve made roughly four scarves, two ear warmers and six pairs of socks since winter break started, and I’m working on my seventh pair. I live a very grandma-esque life.

Who would play you in the movie of your life?

Emilia Clarke – aka Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.

Current obsession:

Seaweed and chai tea lattes, but not at the same time.

Where was your first kiss?

I think I forced a kiss on my kindergarten crush somewhere on the playground, but my first real one was in a basement at a 6th grade girl-boy party — it was a classic first kiss awkward mess.

Guys’ trend that you just don’t understand:

Neon.

Last song you listened to:

Franz and the Eagle from the Goat Rodeo Sessions soundtrack — it’s a good library go-to.

Any guilty pleasures?

Listening to Destiny’s Child and shamelessly singing along

Spirit animal:

Easy, hummingbird.

Celeb crush:

Harry Potter forever <3

Do you have any hidden talents?

I make really good Lego space vehicles, and I can do some pretty cool arm balances.

What are you most excited for this year?

I’m excited to see where it takes me. Every year is so different, and I think we all grow and change so much throughout it — so I’m just ready to see where it goes.

Fun fact:

I have a tattoo of Orion on the back of my left tricep, but it isn’t connected, so you have to be pretty good at stars to know what you’re looking at.

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.