Look Out For The Little Guy: “Ant-Man” Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The “Ant-Man” series has been around since 2015. The second movie, “Ant-man and the Wasp,” came out in 2018. Fans have been waiting five years for a new “Ant-Man” movie. “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” came out on Feb. 17. The new movie brought back some familiarity from the first two movies and also some exciting new factors that left me wanting more.

Paul Rudd is a familiar face to many; in “Ant-Man” he gives a different approach to the normal Marvel action movies. In the “Ant-Man” series, Paul Rudd has brought a comical side of an action movie to the screen. His witty comments throughout the series make the mood light-hearted even in the middle of an action scene. 

As many Marvel fans know, Stan Lee pops up in every Marvel movie. It is always a great feeling sitting in the movie theater watching a Marvel movie, waiting to see where he’ll show up. Stan Lee was one of the first writers/creators of the Marvel Universe. This factor of every Marvel movie really adds to the witty familiarity that Marvel fans know and love.

“Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quatumania” has that same amusing approach that Paul Rudd has brought in the other two movies. There are connections that watchers have to the main characters in this movie that have been in all three movies now. It’s nice to see that over eight years of the Ant-Man series being produced, directed and filmed, the same characters are still a part of it. 

Besides the obvious connections to the main characters, there are new characters in this movie that make it so easy to grow and form a connection with the film through the screen. The amount of side characters introduced in this film is significantly different from the previous movies in the series which were centered around only Ant-Man. It was refreshing and exciting to see so many new characters while also keeping the same familiarity of the first two movies. 

One of the side characters that really stood out to me was Veb. Veb is a jelly-like character who brings light and happiness even in the toughest situations throughout the movie. This character, and many others, added to the comical aspect of “Ant-Man.” 

The plot and storyline behind all of the Ant-Man movies are very different from each other but also tied together at the same time. Every “Ant-Man” movie has a fresh new storyline and that’s what makes this series so exciting. 

“Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quatumania” brings the factors of the quantum realm from the first two movies in a way that has not been seen before. By introducing the quantum realm and its characters, there is a sense of imagination and endless possibilities throughout the film. 

Although the plot of the movie seemed very intense at times, there was only one big action scene. The action in this movie is not what makes it a great movie, it is the amusing wittiness of all the characters involved that sets it apart from all the other Marvel movies.

Brooke Lindberg is a communication journalism major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She loves writing about personal issues and hopes to reach some readers that relate:)