clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter to Myself, As I Enter My Last Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When people say college will be some of the best years of your life, well, those people did not lie. This was a statement I was not sure of due to my senior year in high school being the epitome of stress. I went through a break-up with my first long-term boyfriend, had friendships transform in negative and positive ways, and most importantly – I had no idea where I envisioned myself for the next 4 years. My friends had dream schools within their reach and some had plans leading them to the future beyond college (already!). Not to mention, I had a genius of an older sister who did not have to fret over whether she would get into certain places, and with all of these factors I felt swallowed up in this whole idea of finding the “perfect fit “in a singular location. Luckily, as the last school I happened to look into, VCU, became that place my soul had been searching for.

I feel as though I made the best of my college career. I went through the phases of dealing with the annoying and immature boys as a freshman. I stayed out way too late sometimes knowing I needed to be up in the morning for my 9 a.m. I had my fair share of late-night cookout and Christian’s pizza – if you know, you know. And because of that, I upped my gym routine immediately. I did what people suggest you not to do, and dated a newly initiated frat boy. Had many lessons out of that relationship and breakup (thank u, next!). I made friends in every year that I cannot imagine my life without now, they’re basically family. I had roommate changes and self-realizations, because who does not go through adjusting to living with people that aren’t used to all of your habits? I changed my major to something compleltey opposite and loved every second of my classes, even when things felt impossible to complete. But most importantly, I am the closest I have ever been to finding my true self. The self I thought I “found” in high school before experiencing realities of life while partially on my own.

This semester, I enter my last semester to obtain my Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science at Virginia Commonwealth University. Am I excited? Overly. Am I anxious? Very. The various emotions felt on the first day of classes were taking over me. I found myself sitting with my best friends at the end of our days, looking through old pictures. Tearing up with both sadness and laughter, witnessing the changes, growth and glow-ups.

I write this to me – the beginning of this spring 2019 semester, bright eyed and ready to kill it. I just want to remind myself that when I get to the mid-semester breakdowns and exhaustion to not lose this drive I am beginning with. These four years of education were a blessing that many do not get the chance to have. Take pride in that. And for the anxieties you seem to experience off and on, whether it has to do with life after college, current struggles, you name it– know that a plan will be created and it’ll come to you easier than you think. Enjoy this last semester! Do not take a single second of it for granted.

Picture 1.

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!