This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Age: 19

Major: Biology, Pre-Med

Year: First year

Hometown: Sterling, VA

Fashion Inspirations: Selena Gomez, Gigi Hadid and Negin Mirsalehi

Go-to outfit when in a rush: If it’s winter: LAYERS! A black or gray bodysuit, black skinnies, chelsea boots and a nice fitted coat with accessories to make it look more put together. If it’s summer: a simple blouse, jeans or trousers, and cute sandals as the focal point.

Why did you choose VCU? If I’m being honest, I chose VCU because I was waitlisted from my first choice. However, as I started my freshman year, I realized that VCU was great for my major, and I began to adapt to life in Richmond. I really enjoy the city and the campus now.

What advice would you give your freshman year self if you could? I would tell myself to not underestimate college at all and to make sure not to procrastinate as much on my studying and assignments.

When did your love for fashion start? My love for fashion started probably in middle school, but I didn’t actually start putting outfits together or begin experimenting with fashion until high school.

What made you want to create a fashion account? I really enjoyed looking at other fashion Instagrams and thought that I could possibly make one too. I really enjoyed fashion, so I thought it would be cool if I documented my daily college outfits.

Being a biology major and all, how do you find a balance between studying/school work and your other hobbies? I definitely have to make use of my agenda in order to balance time and make use of it wisely. I make sure that I allocate enough time for my studies, friends/family, hobbies and time for myself to wind down and focus on my mental health. I think the key to finding balance is experimenting with different ways that you believe work best for your own schedule and time. 

What do you plan on doing after graduation? Hopefully, I will be going to medical school after graduation, or I may take a gap year and find some kind of medical internship.

What are your favorite ways to de-stress? Shopping! I also enjoy looking at Pinterest to find more outfit/fashion inspiration. Going to the gym is also something that I enjoy. I find that it really helps me de-stress every day.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In 10 years…I’ll hopefully be a doctor by then. I also hope that I’m married and have started a little family of my own!

Want to keep up with Laila’s college fashion? Follow her fashion Instagram: @simplysultani

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!