Kimberly Corrigan: Model and Actress

Profession(s): Model and Actress

Favorite Quote(s): “It’s not about where you start, it’s about where you finish.”

Favorite Book: I don't know if I have a favorite. I really enjoy reading Nicholas Sparks.

Favorite Place in Richmond: Belle Isle.

"I knew I wanted to be a model since I was 14 years old."

At the age of 14, VCU student Kimberly Corrigan's tall frame and lean figure was eye catching; she was constantly confronted by people in public who told her she should be a model. Heeding their suggestions, she looked into it and like many other young girls watched America's Next Top Model. After watching the show, her dream became rooted in her and she knew that’s what she wanted to be. Her first photo shoot further solidified her ambitions to become a model.

“I instantly fell in love with it and I was like man, I want to do this is I want to do for the rest of my life!” she said. 

Armed with conviction about her career at a young age, she faced difficulty getting there.

Kimberly found out that she needed braces and had to undergo corrective double jaw surgery. If she didn’t go through the operation, it could lead to potential health issues.  Kimberly was devastated by the news.  The experience took a toll on her both physical and emotionally; getting braces and the jaw surgery directly impacted her dream. She would walk into local auditions and agencies only to be told that there was no interest in the market for models with braces.

The healing process was also challenging for Kimberly. She was placed on a strict liquid/pureed diet for a couple of months, could not chew for about seven weeks because of open incisions and had to teach "the new jaw how to chew all over again.” She also suffered from a weak immune system that resulted from a lack of nutrition and had several allergic reactions.

She had to bide her time and put her modeling career on hold for a few years until she had her braces taken off and healed from the jaw surgery, which proved to be a difficult but character building experience for her.

“It was tough. That surgery really did bring me down a little bit but when I look at it, it has made me stronger and made me more comfortable in my skin. And it was so hard because most models start when they’re 16. And here I am, a 19 year old girl, how am I going to get into this?  It was definitely hard and it’s still hard. I’m trying to get there and make it to the top,” she said.

Kimberly's passion for modeling that carried her forth in times of difficulty and discouragement has led her here today with New York Fashion Week under her belt along with a growing number of photo shoots and fashion shows. Kimberly has other ambitions besides modeling; she’s also an aspiring actress. She has landed roles in commercials and has obtained work as an extra in an upcoming movie starring Kevin Hart and the much-loved Showtime television show “Girls.”