This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Jonah Ortañez

Age: 22

Degree: Broadcast Journalism

Graduation Year: May 2015

Hometown: Fairfax, VA

Where are you now? New York City

What was your favorite thing about VCU?

Two things: One was when you were able to swipe 3 chicken quesadillas at Taco Bell and the second thing would be FACT@VCU.

How were you active at VCU?

I was active through an organization called FACT@VCU. FACT made me go out to other organizations, made me talk to administration, and I learned about SGA. I also made a lot of friends in my classes so I felt like I was very active even outside of FACT.

What did you learn from these experiences?

I learned that  no one knows what they’re doing, not even me, not even people who are older than me, maybe administration knows what they’re doing, but  college kids, we’re all just figuring it out. 

What was the most important lesson you learned while in college?

My sophomore year, I was Cultural Liaison for FACT@VCU and then I got elected External Vice President. After that my co-chair sat me down. Up to this point I thought I was doing well and no one had told me otherwise. I was a cocky young lad. She basically put me in check that I’m not all that. I learned from that experience and I learned that everyone’s on the same playing field. No one’s better than anyone else. Seniors aren’t better than freshmen because they know more; it’s not their fault for being born later! Talking with her really put things into perspective for me. It grounded me.

In one sentence, what did FACT mean to you?

I don’t think anyone will understand how much FACT means to me.

When you were a student, what did you want to do after college? What are you doing now?

I had no idea, all I knew was that I wanted to move to New York. Now I am a production intern at ABC, Lincoln Square Productions.

What advice would you give yourself 4 years ago?

Man, freshman year me was dumb. Well I’m still dumb though. I would tell myself to call my mom more because she missed me a lot.

Who is your biggest role model?

My biggest role models are Nerissa Lumban, Katie Fulton, Sharmaine Placides, and Kanye West.

What do you consider your biggest accomplishment so far?

Buying my first bed here in New York because I was surfing on couches for three months. When I bought my own bed, it felt like I had something. It was something I worked up to.

What was the scariest thing about graduating?

For me, it was being complacent where I was at home in Northern Virginia. My mom always made food, I just had to go home and clean the house- I didn’t have any responsibilities and even though it felt like paradise, I didn’t like that feeling. It scared me too much and that’s why I left on a whim to Puppy Paradise.

How did you get there?

I was applying to jobs for two months straight and I realized that I wasn’t going to get anywhere unless I moved. I realized that I wasn’t qualified for the jobs I was applying to yet. There was an open opportunity for a videographer position on Craigslist and I saw the address and I booked my bus ticket the next day and left. It was a videographer position for Puppy Paradise. I did the interview, I got it, and that same day I had to go back to Virginia, pack everything up and move to New York. I was working $60/day. It was horrible, but just being in New York, I was blessed just to have something that pays. Even if it wasn’t a good environment, I felt lucky to still be there.

How did you get to ABC from there?

I was actively looking for jobs and there was another Craigslist ad for a freelance video assistant position. I scored an interview for that and at the same time ABC messaged me that they were also interested and wanted an interview. On one special Monday I got a call that I got the Craigslist job and a few hours later, I got a call that I got the ABC job too. So that same day, I quit Puppy Paradise and collected my $30 from working half a day. I kept both jobs for a while, but eventually I only focused on working for ABC. They’ve actually just extended my internship until March when it was supposed to end in December. Through all of this, the support from back home kept me going. The memories I made from FACT and knowing that my family was there really helped me keep going. Also the K-pop group Girls Generation helped me keep going.

What’s the next step for you?

I want to stay at ABC because I love working there but my next step is to work harder to get that full-time job.

21 || VBVA || Psychology || FACT@VCUAngie Ellorin is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying Psychology and eventually hopes to pursue a masters in Education. In her free time, Angie enjoy taking naps, watching Gossip Girl, and online shopping. She is the adopted mother of a beautiful African elephant named Elliot. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is meeting and being inspired by all the other empowering young women. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!