Style > Beauty

I’ve Been Using Personalized Shampoo For A Year and Here’s My Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Personalized hair care is a new trend that you’ve probably been seeing all over Instagram and Snapchat. Everybody’s hair is unique, so naturally, not everybody is going to find the right shampoo and conditioner for them at the nearest Target or beauty supply store. One of the brands that has been getting a lot of attention is Function of Beauty.

Function of Beauty is a United States-based company that produces personalized hair care for any and all hair types. Their products are vegan, sulfate, paraben and cruelty-free. They are also free of fragrances and dyes upon request. They also have one of the most aesthetically pleasing Instagram pages I’ve ever seen.

I’ve been using Function of Beauty shampoo and conditioner for almost a year.  I saw them on Instagram and thought it would be a cool thing to try out. I have very thick, coarse, wavy hair that I’ve been trying to tame my whole life. Finding a company that has a way to customize hair care specifically to you was something I was intrigued by and excited to try.

Getting Started

On the homepage of the Function of Beauty website, you are asked to take a hair quiz. This asks you about your hair type, hair structure and overall hair goals that you want to achieve. I categorized my hair as wavy with a medium hair structure. My goals were to fix split-ends, replenish hair, strengthen, lengthen and anti-frizz.

Customization

Next comes the fun part! Function of Beauty has five standard colors you can choose from if you want your product to be a little bit more personalized. They also do limited edition colors throughout the year. You can always choose to forego the dye if you want a product that is a bit more natural. You can have your shampoo and conditioner be the same color or mix and match.

I personally love when my hair smells good, so I put a lot of thought into what fragrance I choose.  So far I have chosen all (you)calyptus and (fl)ower to the people. You can also choose how strong you want the scent to be. Again, if you want a more natural product, you can always choose to have it unscented.

Finalizing Your Order

Now that you have finished all of the hard decisions, it’s time to complete your order.  Function of Beauty has six different size options, ranging from two 16-oz. bottles of shampoo and conditioner to one 16-oz. bottle of only one product.  Since I use equal amounts of shampoo and conditioner, I have been ordering two 16-oz. bottles of both shampoo and conditioner. Without tax and shipping added in, this adds up to $46.

You can choose to get regular shipments of your product as well, with intervals of one month, three months or six months.  If you just want to try it out, you can select ‘just once’ and see how you feel.

Final Review

I don’t think I will ever go back to buying shampoo and conditioner from the store. Function of Beauty shampoo and conditioner has done everything I wanted it to do. While the price may be out of some people’s budget, I believe it’s fair for the quality you are receiving. If you want to try out Function of Beauty for yourself, you can visit their website and start your personal hair quiz!

Image Credits: Abby Walsh, taken from the Function of Beauty website

Abby is a forensic chemistry major from Michigan. She enjoys reading, writing, math, and watching movies with her friends on the weekends. One of her favorite topics of discussion is social injustice in the world and what we can do to stop it.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!