This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Most women I know have been called “basic” at some point or worse, have called another woman “basic.” Urban Dictionary defines “basic” as an unoriginal, bland woman who is interested in popular, mainstream things. The term has evolved to be an insult used to put down women for liking things. 

Labeling a woman “basic” is often done by other women, which only serves to divide us and only helps those who don’t identify as women come out on top. Thus, the term “basic” has become an easy way to shame things women like and further set women against each other.  Making fun of women who like mainstream things only harms women in general and helps men stay superior.

Unless you are young and female, having “basic” taste does not negatively impact your life. When a large group of women like something, it is called “basic.” When a lot of men like something, it is considered normal or not given a second thought. Watching sports, golfing, fantasy leagues and cars are all typical male interests. Men are not put down or called “basic” for liking these things in the way women are. 

On the other hand, it is difficult to think of something a woman is interested in which does not get labeled “basic.” Watching “The Bachelor,” wearing makeup, drinking iced coffee, going to Target and participating in fashion trends are all considered “basic.” Many “basic” things are popular with women for a reason. Maybe Taylor Swift is so popular because she puts out good music. Maybe avocado toast is trendy because it is a great breakfast alternative. 

Three women laughing at the camera
Photo by Radomir Jordanovic from Pexels

“Basic” in middle school was wearing Ugg boots, black leggings, a fuzzy north face jacket and straightening your hair. I remember wearing Ugg boots to science class in eighth grade resulting in my male lab partner calling me “basic.” Who gave him the right?

I did not think to retort and call his neon Nike ensemble “basic,” even though every other middle school boy wore the same thing because “basic” was mainly used to insult women. The particulars which define “basic” have, of course, evolved from middle school to college. Women are still considered “basic” for what we wear, although now it is for wearing a middle part, crop tops and white sneakers. 

A common trope seen in the media involves women who are different from their peers being portrayed as necessarily better. These women are labeled as cool because they don’t fawn over celebrities or like the color pink. Male characters in movies and TV shows prefer women who are different over the “basic” woman.

When I was 13, I refused to like the band One Direction because it was considered mainstream and “basic.” I wanted to be different from other girls because I believed being different was how women succeed. I did not know the majority of movies were created and directed by men and merely reflected their view of women. If I had not been so intent on hating One Direction, maybe I would have enjoyed their music, but the male gaze ingrained in me did not let me join the crowd.

When we are raised with the idea we need to be different to be special and interesting, we strive to be unique. However, women are then made fun of for trying too hard to be different and “not like other girls.” It does not matter if you are “basic” and follow the trends or if you isolate yourself and reject the trends because someone is always going to have something to say about it.

Woman in Pink Tank Top Sitting on Chair While Drinking on Starbucks Cup
JÉSHOOTS/Pexels

We have let the term “basic” stay with us our whole lives. Women have the power to change this—starting with not making fun of women for having similar interests. So what if a lot of women like to watch “The Bachelor” and drink pumpkin spice lattes? Making fun of them only brings down women as a whole and gives more fuel to men to make fun of women. If men see women making fun of other women, they think it is okay for them to do so too, which it is not. 

You can never really win the label game. But you can lose a lot when your choices are heavily influenced by other’s labels or when their judgments become ingrained in you. So, just be yourself. If you actually love makeup, horses, scrunchies, thrifting or plants, who cares? No one knows you better than you know yourself, so do not let anyone else judge you for being you.

If you catch yourself putting down other women because they display “basic” tendencies, re-think why you are making fun of them. Do you really care what someone else you do not even know is interested in or looks like? Do what makes you happy, and don’t bring down other women for being “basic.” You (and they) might actually find you’re basically okay being “basic.”

If some aspects of “basic” actually bother you, then put the judgment where it actually belongs. Large corporate takeovers such as the popular “basic” Target and Starbucks can destroy local shops, bookstores, food markets, etc. Supporting smaller businesses and artists can be a proactive alternative to going the “basic” route, which again is not bad either.

If you really feel your taste or knowledge of music, fashion, food or whatever else needs broadening, then find a friend or social media influencer with more expansive knowledge in a specific area or go to a different music venue, coffee shop, restaurant or store. It can be a lot more fun and productive than striving to be different for the sake of being different. Whether you choose to be “basic” or not, make sure you do what brings you joy so when someone is critical, you are secure and comfortable in the choices you made.

Maddie Quigley is a political science major with a minor in media studies. She is a vegetarian, plant-lover, avid reader and she enjoys talking politics.
VCU Contributor Account