Culture > News

It’s an Exciting Era for the Democratic Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As the 2020 elections grow closer, we’ve seen one of the largest playing fields of democratic candidates bidding for the presidency, which is exciting, to say the least. One important aspect is that this group is the most diverse democratic primary field in history which gives many spectators hope for the future. To the democratic party, Donald Trump’s presidency hasn’t been far from difficult and all of these candidates have bargained that they are ready for an opportunity to challenge Trump in the 2020 election of the United States next President.

There are 16 candidates that have officially declared they’re running in the democratic party for President, of which there are many familiar faces. One particular aspect that shows a changing tide is that we are seeing the most women and minorities running, in history. We’re seeing former and current representatives like Senator Kamala Harris, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Sen. Cory Booker, Sen. Bernie Sanders, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke along with faces of business executives to influential authors.

“Here’s who’s officially in the running: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke, former Gov. John Hickenlooper, Gov. Jay Inslee, Sen. Bernie Sanders, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Sen. Cory Booker, Sen. Kamala Harris, ex-San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, former Rep. John Delaney, Miramar, Fla., Mayor Wayne Messam, author Marianne Williamson and former tech executive Andrew Yang.”

Focusing in on some of the most popular candidates and those that have campaign fundraised the most in the first quarter, let’s take a look at why they’re making this upcoming election a turning point for Democrats and the U.S.

41 days after announcing his candidacy, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont has raised an outstanding $18.2 million. Sanders has raised the most of all the candidates, and although he’s been in the race the longest, it’s still an impressive number showing supporters are ready to back him up once again. Sanders is notorious for running on a democratic-socialist platform, setting him apart from the rest of his peers. Sanders stated that his running is not only about defeating Trump, but to ensure that the U.S. sees a transformation in regards to, “Economic, social, racial and environmental justice.”  

California senator and CA former attorney general, Kamala Harris, is second in terms of campaign fundraising. She’s raised a total of $12 million and has been in the race for a mere 18 days. Kamala Harris is a very well known senator frequenting news networks consistently. She stood up to Brett Kavanaugh at the Senate hearing for his alleged sexual assault of Dr. Christine Ford. Senator Harris seemingly has a fiery passion for fighting injustices in the criminal justice system and working for the people, not for Washington. Not to mention, she announced she was running for President on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and would be the first African American woman to be nominated.

Lastly, former U.S. Representative, Beto O’Rourke announced his candidacy on March 14 in his hometown, El Paso, Texas with more than 6,000 grassroots supporters. After a tight, but failed race against Republican Senator Ted Cruz, O’Rourke gained quite a following on social media, and plenty of supporters ready to see him take on a bid for the presidency. O’Rourke brings a positive, refreshing mentality to the great challenges the U.S. faces and wants to take them on with unified energy. His envisioned focus is on issues like environmental security, immigration and families, criminal justice reform, and more.

To learn more about the rest of the democratic candidates check out Politico’s overview. The democratic candidates are definitely going to make this election one of excitement and change for our country, making the 2020 election one for the history books.

Photo: 1, 2

Abby is a senior at VCU majoring in Political Science and minoring in Media and Italian studies. She's passionate about all things related to food, travel, and dogs. In her free time she binge watches cooking/food shows on netflix, enjoys running with her pup to Belle Isle, practicing yoga and barre, and trying new restaurants wherever she goes. She enjoys grocery shopping, appreciates all things locally-sourced, and won't say no to kombucha. You can follow her on Instagram @mangiwithabby!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!