The Introvert’s College Experience as Told by OITNB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Being an introvert in college can be difficult, but there are good things that come along with this quality. An introvert is someone who is shy and keeps to themselves. They have a few good friends and tend to be loyal. They are also observant and tend to be very aware of the feelings of those around them. Here are a few of an introvert’s college experience:

You can have a-ha moments anywhere

Because introverts keep to themselves, we always have things running through our heads. We could be commenting on the people around us or debating whether or not we should buy that cute sweater. Know that introverts aren’t ignoring you, we just aren’t as quick to talk.

You can be behind on lingo

Keeping to yourself can have its downsides, introverts can be behind on lingo. Our strange phrases can be seen as cute or just plain weird. You can surprise a lot of people by saying “mother of pearl.” But don’t think we won’t catch up on new trends.

Some people may think you’re weird/mean

Because you keep to yourself and observe others frequently, people can’t tell whether you’re the biggest b*tch or if you’re a total weirdo. Don’t be quick to judge, introverts can be completely normal in social situations and can be some of the funniest people you meet.

You like to pass time by reading, writing, or watching cute cat videos

You can often find introverts deep in thought or with our nose in a good book. This doesn’t mean that introverts are boring or kill-joys. Introverts can have fun and some of us even like to go out with friends and “turn-up.” Others enjoy the warmth and comfort the indoors has to offer.

You can be judged too quickly by your peers 

Introverts can be judged harshly and too quickly for appreciating solitude. You should give them time to open up, they can be one of the best people and greatest friends.

Jocelin is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University where she is studying print journalism with a minor in general business. In between classes and work, she enjoys drinking coffee, watching Netflix, and working out. She hopes to one day be the editor-in-chief of a magazine and live in NYC. She is a Pinterest enthusiast and loves DIY projects.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!