I Tried a Bunch of Chocolate Milkshakes So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I have fond memories of going to McDonald’s to get a Happy Meal with chicken nuggets and honey mustard (a necessity). While we were there, munching on fries, my mom would almost always get a chocolate shake and a Quarter Pounder. She would always let me try it, and I remember how good it used to taste in conjunction will all of my junk food. That was the first chocolate milkshake I ever had, and I never stopped sucking them down. I went to Cookout, McDonald’s and Chick-fil-a to see which chocolate milkshake was the supreme ruler of all other chocolate milkshakes so you don’t have to.

1. McDonalds

Rating: 4/10

I know, I know. My all time favorite shake making out with only a mere 4/10. Let me tell you why: I found the chocolate taste to be fake – more fake than all the other shakes. It kinda tastes like they just dumped a bottle of bargain-brand chocolate syrup into the milk and vanilla ice cream and said, “voila.” I was not impressed. Being that I have not had one in a little while, my memory of the shake was probably skewed by the fact that all kids think that anything with sugar tastes like crack. They also didn’t top my shake with whipped cream and a cherry. I guess they forgot. Also very disappointing, I might add. I think that that is arguably the best part of a shake experience. Sigh.

2. Cookout

Rating: 6/10

I think that Cookout has really taken over the milkshake game. I mean, just look at McDonald’s or Burger King’s measly three or four shake flavors. Cookout has about 60 different flavors and you can combine any of the 60 to make a custom flavor. Banana cappuccino is one of my favorite custom flavors I’ve ordered. Other than the selection of milkshakes, the taste of all of them is also wonderful. The texture of the shakes is too thick to drink, which means you might as well just throw away your straw as soon as your shake is handed to you. Usually they do give you a straw with each spoon, which is thoughtful, but I really don’t like eating my shake with a spoon. I could have just as easily just bought some ice cream from the grocery store for the same price as the one milkshake. Just a thought. The chocolate flavor of the shake was very good. It definitely tasted more high quality than the one from McDonalds. There wasn’t a cherry and whipped cream again though :(.

3. Chick-fil-a 

Rating: 8/10

Is there anything that Chick-fil-a can do wrong? Personally, I don’t think so. Being closed on Sundays is a real drag, but their workers do deserve some guaranteed rest, so I’ll let it slide for now. My favorite shake from Chick-fil-a is definitely the cookies and cream, but their chocolate might just be a close second. It had a strong chocolate flavor without being overpowering or fake tasting, and I really didn’t get tired of the flavor either. The texture was thick but not quite as thick as Cookout’s shake, and I was very satisfied with it. Chick fil a, please keep doing what you do.

Next time you’re in the mood for fast food, take into consideration which chocolate shake will be the best to pair with your meal!

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3

Madeline Wheeler is a journalist major with a focus in print and online journalism at VCU. In her free time, she enjoys drinking floral teas, going to underground concerts in smoky basements, and hunting for keys to the past in antique stores.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!