This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For centuries, many diverse civilizations have used crystals in different types of ways. Recently, they have made a comeback. Many dismiss it as nonsense like astrology, but I find both extremely interesting. However, within the last couple of years, there has also been a 40% increase in Google searches for “crystal healing.” I personally love crystals and try to integrate them into every aspect of my life. In fact, I have an amethyst in my bedroom to create calming energy. I feel like a good start to collecting crystals is rings because each part of your hands has a different characteristic based on it. Different crystals will correlate to each finger and/or hand.

You can wear rings on both hands at the same time if you would like, but please be aware that one gives off energy, and the other receives it. However, this does not go off right or left. It is based on your dominant hand. Your dominant hand transmits energy; your non-dominant hand takes in energy to your body. For example, if you are trying to get rid of writer’s block, you can wear a carnelian ring on your dominant hand to get the creative juices flowing. On the opposite hand, you can wear an obsidian ring to get rid of the negative energy you might encounter with others. 

glass orb and city
Anika Huizinga

Like hands, fingers also have different ways of interpreting energy. Your thumb symbolizes your deepest wishes and desires. Personally, I would recommend dendritic agate, which encourages acceptance and the connection with nature. Your index fingers represent your path in life. A good one for this finger is amethyst, as it creates serene energy. The middle finger is all about your personal power and the way you present yourself to the world. In addition, the middle finger is directly connected with your communication and emotional centers. Blue lace agate is a great stone for this because it promotes confident energy. It is common knowledge that your ring finger is supposedly connected to your heart and emotions, hence wedding rings and promise rings. However, you do not need to be in any sort of relationship to wear a ring on this finger. I suggest malachite as it is supposed to heal emotional trauma. You may want to choose smaller crystals for the pinky finger as an accent piece to your other rings, such as rose quartz to dim down harsh tendencies of the other crystals. 

I have a disclaimer before you buy these pieces of jewelry or crystals in general: make sure that they are ethically sourced. Always ask the seller where they source their crystals from! Many mining companies take advantage of workers and the environment. In fact, some of these mines even have children working for them. I strongly encourage you to actively boycott companies that sell crystals without sourcing them ethically. It hurts our environment, contributes to big mining companies, and hurts disadvantaged workers. You do not even have to go out to buy crystals ethically, you can order them online! Just do your research beforehand.

Kaitlyn Austin is an alumnus of Virginia Commonwealth University, with a bachelor's in political science with a concentration in civil rights. She is passionate about social justice, advocacy, and astrology.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!