This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Amidst vocal advocacy for and discussion about the LGBTQ community, non-binary or otherwise gender non-conforming individuals are often left in the dark. True allyship is an entirely inclusive endeavor. If you’re wondering what you, personally, can do to better support these groups, here is a place to start.

Educate Yourself and Understand the Spectrum of Gender Expression

Although they have completely different meanings and functions, the terms “sex” and “gender” are oftentimes used interchangeably. If you’re unsure, remember that sex describes the physiological variations of living beings. Gender, on the other hand, more applies to the differing sociocultural expectations of the sexes and does not conform to a binary as does sex. As a result, there is a seemingly endless amount of diversity in how people choose to express their gender. Understanding this difference is essential in the effort to truly understand and be able to support non-binary people. 

Listen to the Lives and Stories of Non-Binary People

No amount of self-education could equate to the value of hearing first-hand accounts of the non-binary experience. Take the time to listen to the non-binary people in your life, ask questions to deepen your understanding, and help better support them in your daily life. There are also many podcasts and YouTube channels run by non-binary people worth researching to help you better include them in your advocacy for LGBTQ+ people. 

Never Make Assumptions

When meeting someone for the first time, it can be easy to take what’s at face value and assign a gendered label to them. If you’re ever unsure about someone’s gender or preferred pronouns, just ask! You’d likely not take offense to someone asking you the same question. Jumping to conclusions might make people needlessly uncomfortable. 

Advocate for Norms and Policies That Help Non-Binary People

There are countless ways you can and should be an ally in your day-to-day life. One easy avenue is to make a habit of introducing yourself with not only your name but your pronouns, as well—this could take the form of putting them in your social media bios, Zoom display name, email signature or simply noting them verbally. In doing so yourself and encouraging others to do the same, you help to normalize the practice. You could also make an effort to scrap binary language when addressing groups of people—“ladies and gentlemen,” for example, in favor of more broad phrases like “everyone” or “folks.” Those are simply a few examples. 

Respect, Unconditionally

When someone asks you to refer to them by a certain name or certain set of pronouns, do it. Whether or not you understand or even respect the way they feel most comfortable expressing themselves, it is an intrinsic human right to be shown unconditional respect as an equal. Respect, if not out of common decency, by virtue of the fact that we are all human. Do your very best to educate, understand and advocate for non-binary people. Normalizing diversity in gender expression in your own life and community is a small step to take towards a truly equal and understanding world. 

Emily Richardson is a digital journalism student at Virginia Commonwealth University and HCVCU's Editor-in-Chief. She has contributed to a number of independent publications and has interests in social issues, sustainability and pop culture.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!