How to Make Meaningful and Lifelong Friendships in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Coming into college as a naive freshman was daunting; I was not accustomed to the idea of living by myself and preparing for upper-level college courses. I also did not recognize many students on campus, and I had trouble meeting new people. The campus felt so unfamiliar to me, and I constantly missed home. I had always known that college was a learning experience and a time to branch out and meet people with a variety of interests; however, I felt as if I was struggling. I realized that the best way to make meaningful friends in college was to go slightly outside of my comfort zone, and here’s how I did that.

Join a club

There are several organizations on campus, from academic clubs to greek life organizations, all of which encourage bonding activities. I am a pre-health student, so I was attracted to clubs that spoke more about medical school applications, volunteer opportunities and disparities in the healthcare field. I also enjoyed writing, so I applied for the Her Campus Editorial team. I was able to meet so many more like-minded students through these organizations, and I also started to recognize them in some of my classes as well. I believe that working together as a team really encourages bonding and is a great way to branch out and meet new people. 

Start a study group

Everyone always has that one course that is almost impossible to study for. As a senior in college, my biggest suggestion is to start a study group! Don’t be afraid to reach out to your classmates and form a GroupMe or schedule weekly study sessions in the library. This is a great way to not only meet new people but also expand your study habits. Working together and helping each other other 

Stand up for yourself

Most of these suggestions have to do with meeting people who share similar hobbies and interests, and while that is the key to making new friends, it is also important to remember to prioritize yourself and your values. As I matured in college, I realized that everyone is on their own path so just because your friend is doing something, doesn’t mean you should too. Don’t feel peer pressured into forgetting what matters to you and your values just to please a friend. If they are a true friend, they would accept and support you for your personality, beliefs, and expectations. It is completely okay to distance yourself from someone who you believe will not let you rise to your full potential and also will not accept you for who you are. 

Overall, coming into college with knowing absolutely no one to graduating with the most amazing roommates and friends, I can safely say that I learned a lot about myself and about maintaining meaningful relationships. Working in a team has been the best way for me to expand my friendships and meet new students. However, with that being said, I also learned that it is important to stand up for myself and not compare my life to others because everyone in college is at a different pace. 

VCU Contributor Account