tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay in Touch With Your BFF’s This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One of the best parts of college is meeting people from all over, but one of the hardest parts is saying bye to them for the summer. If you’re like me, some of the best friends you’ve made at VCU aren’t from the same city as you, so here are four sure-fire ways to keep in touch no matter how many miles are between you and your bff!

1. Snapchat

Snapchat is one of the easiest platforms of social media to keep in touch! It’s easier and less formal than texting, so go ahead and make each other best friends! Randomly sending each other pictures is a quick and easy way to keep in touch. You can also send each other embarrassing videos of yourselves! You don’t need to be in the same room as one another to have a good laugh.

2. Make plans to meet up.

If you can, get a group of friends together and make a road trip out of it! You can even meet back up in good ole Richmond, Virginia if it’s more convenient.

3. FaceTime/Skype/Google Hangout/Whatever kids do.

There’s nothing like good old face-to-face conversations, so if you can’t actually meet face-to-face, then technology’s got your back! Even Snapchat has a feature where you can video chat! Even if it’s just for five minutes, it’ll help you miss each other less.

4. There’s always good old-fashioned phone calls and letters.

I LOVE talking on the phone. There’s a certain stigma associated with talking on the phone and for some reason, our generation is kind of scared of it, but trust me, it’ll help make the three months apart more bearable. Also, snail mail is, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated little pleasures. There’s a certain thrill of getting a postcard in the mail and sending one out too! More so than Facebook messages or emails, notecards add a little touch of personalization, reminding you of all the little wonderful things about each other!

5. Find a way to do something together.  

Whether it’s reading the same book, starting the same TV series, watching a movie at the same time and texting through it or even typing on the same Google Doc every now and then, activities like these can help lessen how far you feel from one another. From personal experience, these doing activities like these helped me keep in touch with my girlfriends and I hope they help for you too!

Just remember, it won’t be long until you’re hanging out in person again! So make the most out of your summer, keep these tips in mind and once August comes around it’ll all be back to normal. 

21 || VBVA || Psychology || FACT@VCUAngie Ellorin is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying Psychology and eventually hopes to pursue a masters in Education. In her free time, Angie enjoy taking naps, watching Gossip Girl, and online shopping. She is the adopted mother of a beautiful African elephant named Elliot. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is meeting and being inspired by all the other empowering young women. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!