Wellness

How To Stay Healthy During Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s flu season yet again, and everyone around you is sick. Getting a cold or the flu during this time of the year is probably the last thing you want, especially since midterms are coming up and then spring break! To avoid getting whatever bug is going around can be easier than you think, here is how you do it!

Wash Your Hands

Duh! You have heard this from everyone probably since you can remember, and there’s a reason for that: most bugs travel via contact, so if you touch something that was infected by a sick person, the chances you will get it too are pretty high. So remember to always wash your hands, or you can get a travel-size hand sanitizer and bring it everywhere with you, seriously don’t leave the house without it. 

Exercise

Exercising is key when you are trying to stay healthy. By frequently going to the gym you will help strengthen your immune system so that your body is stronger when it’s trying to fight disease. Plus, going to the gym also helps increase your serotonin and boost your mood too!

Increase Your Vitamin C Consumption

Everyone always says to drink orange juice, but that isn’t the only way to get more vitamin C. There are many other foods that you probably already eat that are filled with it: strawberries, red peppers, broccoli and potatoes are rich in vitamin C so eat up! Another thing you can do is take supplements; this is really easy since you just take a pill every morning, and it’ll help your immune system tons.

Get a Good Night’s Sleep

Getting enough sleep right before midterms can be hard, I know. But it is crucial for your health since when you are asleep your body replenishes itself and becomes stronger. So, make sure you stay organized with your studies and other activities and plan well so you have time to get your beauty sleep.

Try Not To Overstress

I know it can be easy to let all of the assignments, things you have to do, and just life in general stress you out. But stress can have lots of negative effects on your health. Try and manage your time wisely so you can get everything done and still have time to care for yourself. A good way to clear your mind and destress is meditation, just find a comfortable spot, close your eyes and focus on your breathing for about 15 minutes and you will notice that it will help get you in a better mindset and clear your stressful thoughts. 

Go For a Walk

Try going for a walk in the sun even if it is only for 15 minutes; sunlight is filled with vitamin D, which will help boost your immune system. On top of that, being outdoors is also a great way to reduce stress, especially if you are surrounded by nature. An easy way to do that is to find a spot, there are many on-campus, with trees and direct sunlight and just sit there for a few minutes.

Hopefully, you can incorporate a few of those tips to your daily routine, it will make a bigger difference than you can imagine. Stay warm everyone!

Fran Ramos is a VCU student where she is majoring in Public Relations. She spends most of her time trying new Pho restaurants with her friends or listening to music. She is a mom to three cats, Lorenzo, Teresa and Oswald and loves to spam her social media followers with pictures of them.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!