This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When you think of pendulums, you might think of Galileo’s research but may not think of them as an ancient divination tool. Many people can be completely lost on how to use this tool. I feel like this is because I rarely see this type of divination tool used these days. However, to familiarize everyone with this item, it is an object such as stone, gem or crystal hanging from a string, used to predict possible outcomes. The direction that the item swings in determines what it means.

For example, I use an amethyst pendulum, which is supposed to bring wisdom unto the user. In addition, I cleanse my pendulum with juniper in order to achieve the truth. I ask my pendulum to show me neutral while it is still dangling in the air over my pinky. Typically, it tends to go back and forth for this. Then I go to my index finger for positive, which is usually counter-clockwise, and my middle finger for negative, which is usually clockwise. This is just my way of doing it. I use my pendulum to give me advice for my every day tarot readings to big life choices. They have tons of different ways and interpretations of how to read a pendulum, and this is a small guide to it! 

Let the Pendulum Choose You

It is extremely important for your pendulum to choose you, especially if you are practicing your craft with it. You must get permission from all participating energy. You can also feel when this happens, so do not rush it! 

Cleanse the Pendulum if You Deem Necessary

Some places might cleanse your items for you. However, I feel like this is a big step before using your pendulum. You want to make sure you are protected and safe. However, this can be reflective of one’s personal beliefs.

Understand Directional Swings

This is a dead give away as you do not want to get mixed signals. Do not be afraid to continuously ask your pendulum to define directional swings as many times as you want.

Define Directional Swings

I do this every single time that I use my pendulum. As stated earlier, I ask my pendulum to show me each directional swing before asking questions. 

Ask Good and Respectful Questions

This is another dead giveaway. Do not ask your pendulum silly questions to torment it, and do not ask questions that cannot be given in a yes or no.  

Remove Bias

When you go in with a bias, you are manipulating the energy of the pendulum—you are making it move the way you want it to. In addition, it can remove negative energy from the space.

Make Sure the Pendulum is Still

If you ask while the pendulum is in motion before, you can get skewed answers. Again, this could be really bad if you are asking a serious question. I recommend also putting your elbow down on something while reading to make it easier. 

Pendulums might be a little scary, but I use them in my everyday life. I feel like they have really helped me connect with my spiritual energy for answers and highly recommend anyone to try them out; I use them alongside my tarot. The duo is impeccable together. 

Kaitlyn Austin is an alumnus of Virginia Commonwealth University, with a bachelor's in political science with a concentration in civil rights. She is passionate about social justice, advocacy, and astrology.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!