How to Pack for Spring Break Based on Your Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Spring Break is coming up so quickly! We all dream about it, fantasize, plan around it and count down the days. This is the week we all wait for every year. We hope it’s as amazing as we make it out in our minds, but as if picking a destination wasn’t enough now we have to pack for the week as well! For a lot of us this is the hardest part — you want to bring your whole closet but who has the room or the money for extra luggage? We want to pack as little as possible but what about back-up clothing for emergencies or unexpected excursions during our trip? I know we’re all a little over-exerted due to all the midterms, papers and pop quizzes we all had the week before spring break so let me do the packing for you! Whether you’re going to the ever-so-popular beach getaway, to the city with your friends for a taste of the metropolitan life, one of the many music festivals or an outdoor camping trip, this is sure to help you!

First things first, your health should always be well taken care of where ever you’re headed. So your first pick-up should be sunblock, sunglasses and a hat. We all love that the weather is warming up but none of us want to come back sore and peeling our first layer of skin off because of it. Second, think about your daily routine and make sure you have everything necessary: tooth brush, soap, lotion, under clothing, etc. Also from experience, bring a towel and bath cloth. Nothing is more unfortunate then going on vacation and having to deal with rough towels! Next — clothes for the occasion!

If you’re going to the beach, think light and easy. Bring three to five bathing suits just in case you lose one, forget to wash one at night or just want a variety of options. Bring about three pairs of shorts and a handful of tank tops and tees to lounge around in, and last, a dressy outfit (like a cute sun dress) in case you all decide to head to town for dinner, a club, or you find a potential date. Don’t forget flip flops or cute sandals — heels aren’t absolutely necessary.

Heading to NYC or any other big city for some fun with your friends? If so, be realistic! Walking is going to be your number one source of transportation, along with buses, trains and cabs, so comfort is what your packing should revolve around. Jeans, t-shirts and a light jacket or sweater or two will also be handy if it’s still a little chilly. Cute sneakers are a must. Supportive sandals or flats are an option as long as they have already been broken in. And in order to carry your belongings (emergency cash, ID, credit card, etc.) I recommend a small cross body bag. This way there’s enough room but not too heavy and carrying it across your body makes it harder for people to try and snatch your bag!

Vibing to some great music at a music festival sounds like an amazing option for relaxing and enjoying your spring break! If that’s your plan, being comfortable is a big concern for you, too. I recommend three pairs of jeans, two pairs of shorts, shirts, a couple sneakers, some easy to slip on sandals or flip flops and a light jacket in case you get chilly as well.

For my campers and outdoor explorers, think safe and easy! Bug spray is a must, as well as a small first aid kit if you’re hiking or exploring the outside in other fashions. I also recommend a small book bag or fanny pack to keep these and other necessities conveniently with you at all times. For clothing, depending on your location you may want a lot of layers or you may want as few as possible. Also, along with being safe, you may need specific clothing for your trip. Be sure to find this out before you go!

There you go! I believe these pointers are key for any spring break trip you have planned along with fun and great memories, that is! Make this year better than last year, come back with great stories to share and most importantly — be safe and have fun!

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!