This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Some of my earliest memories of music are from the summer drives my family would take. My older sister and I would sing along to “A Pocket Full of Sunshine,” The Script and Avril Lavigne. Music was our way of rebelling from the tight religious reigns of our mother. She wouldn’t let us listen to any music that wasn’t Christian gospel because she considered contemporary music devil worship. Thankfully she’s changed and my love for music continues to grow. 

My sister influenced my taste in music and while we may like different genres now, I owe to her for those feel good songs I listen to after a long day. Music has always been my escape. The stories told, while not always similar to mine, move me and have helped me get through some of the hardest times. Music helped me through my first bad breakup. After my heart felt like it had been shattered, music helped me pick myself up.

I cherish the songs that helped me become who I am. Music got me through the awkward stages of middle school, the character building in high school and it’s helping me through college. Music makes me feel empowered, happy and light. If you were to look through my Spotify playlists you’d find a lot of Coldplay, The Lumineers and Ray LaMontagne, Grouplove, The Head and the Heart and so many others that describe me. In my mind the sounds of these artists paint my personality.

I love how even the first beat of my favorite song can turn my mood around. I’ll jump up in excitement because of the good vibes the song brings. Good music is the only thing that’ll make me want to get up and dance. But my music, the music I listen to, is different from what the majority of those around me listen to. I’ve been told my music is depressing, but it’s not. What I consider upbeat may be different than your upbeat music but my music will make me jump up and dance.

Latin music will remind me of a time in my life where I wasn’t shy and would dance salsa all day. Juanes, Jaun Luis Guerra and Shakira, La Quinta Estacion and Mana. These are just some of the artists that remind me why I’m proud of the Latin blood running through my veins. Musica makes me want to sing mariachi, swing my hips and follow along in the language that I love. Music makes me proud of my roots.

I get stuck in ruts at different times of the year. I’ll listen to one band for six months and then move on and come back. It’s a cycle that I don’t ever want to break. It may seem excessive to listen to one artist for so long but it’s all I want to do. I may even listen to one song for a whole week. It’ll drive my family crazy but they know it’s part of who I am.  

I will admit that a lot of songs don’t have any special meaning other than that I enjoy listening to them. I appreciate all music and while I may like some genres more than others, I don’t judge. I understand that music represents something different for everyone. For example, my little sister loves boybands. One Direction and anything else having to do with the group of boys that told every girl she was beautiful. While I don’t like listening to them (gasp) and I pick on her for obsessing over these boys, I respect her music.

If I were to ever make a book, then a movie about my life, you’d hear so many clips of my most important and loved songs. I love music and I thank every artist for creating every single one of their songs. I will forever be in debt to them for helping me.

To music and to all the wonderful memories – HCXO

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Jocelin is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University where she is studying print journalism with a minor in general business. In between classes and work, she enjoys drinking coffee, watching Netflix, and working out. She hopes to one day be the editor-in-chief of a magazine and live in NYC. She is a Pinterest enthusiast and loves DIY projects.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!