This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Personally, my favorite time to journal is when I’m procrastinating. So, instead of working on the four essays, a 70 question multiple choice test and solving the mystery of life, I’m doodling miniature pumpkins to represent the month of October. 

However, if you’re someone who actually has their life together and wants to be creative with their calender I have some journaling tips for you. 

The pen is mightier than the sword rings true when it comes to bullet journals. Having the proper equipment can help you make that spooky goblin a little less scary to look at and more family-friendly.

Fine point Sharpies are easy to use and helpful when you want to convey detail in your scary drawings. For added color and shading, I enjoy using Zebra Mildliner in soft colors. You can find these supplies on Amazon or any craft store.

Calendars are a vital part of bullet journaling, they help you keep track of important events and appointments. Having a common theme for the month of October is essential to keep the flow of the journal. Try establishing a theme at the beginning of the month that way it will be easier to keep track of during the rest of the month.

Here’s an example of using cute drawings to keep a monthly theme and a weekly theme. I got the drawings and ideas from @thepalepaper on Instagram. My favorite part of the calendar are the artsy leaves and whimsical stars.

You can also incorporate other formats rather than month and week formats. Here are some spooky formats that I found on Pinterest for the month of October.

This spooky movie night format is sure to get you in the Halloween spirit. Add your favorite scary movies or if you’re a scaredy-cat like I am write down your favorite fall movies, like Halloweentown or Casper. 

If you’re a fan of tracking your mood here’s a spooky format that reminded me of my favorite fall movie, Harry Potter. Whenever Harry Potter weekend comes around I know it’s finally fall. The potion wall helps you track your mood over the course of the month of October. Happy journaling!

Image Credit: 12

Sarah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University and is majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Fashion Merchandising. Sarah enjoys reading, writing, and discussing sustainable fashion brands. Sarah spends most of her time, and money, on Depop fueling her shopping addiction. Follow her on instagram @Sarah_parker9 and Twitter @_parker_9
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!