This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you’re like me, you’re obsessed with fashion, but unable to spend thousands of dollars on your wardrobe. Celebrities like the Kardashians, Rihanna and ASAP Rocky are more than likely wearing an outfit that costs more than my tuition. I usually love what these celebs are wearing, however it’s totally not necessary to be rich to have an amazing sense of style. So here are a few things to have you looking incredible while making your wallet happy at the same time.

1. Accessories

Accessories are actually everything when you’re dressing up a simple outfit. It’s all about finding a balance. I would recommend sticking to either all gold or all silver jewelry, which can easily be found at stores like Forever 21 or H&M for reasonable prices. Chunky jewelry pieces are also great for spicing up an outfit that costs less than $10.

2. Hair and makeup

Honestly, what can’t a good hair/makeup day fix? You could have your whole life falling apart, love life tragic, grades slippin’, but at least people are mistaking you for Beyoncé. This step is a lot more important than most people realize. A nice looking french braid for example, will really emphasize an all back outfit. A red lip can bring attention to your face rather than your clothes. The possibilities of hairstyle and makeup combos are endless, and it’s a lot cheaper than you may think.

3. Cut your clothes

Okay, it’s not as bad as it sounds. I know the thought of scissors can scare a lot of people away, but I promise this is something anyone can do. If you’re tired of your old raggedy t-shirt, why not make it into a crop top? Or cut out the neckline to create an off-the-shoulder look? Those old jeans you have in your drawer could easily become your new go-to pair of distressed denim. Youtube tutorials are especially hepful with this step. Your banking account is thanking you alreadty.

4. Buy the basics 

Let’s say you DO want to go shopping… what do you buy for a reasonable price? The key is to pick out items that can go with literally anything. This includes basics like tank tops and simple t-shirts with no logos or designs. Neutral colors will also be your best friend because you can pair any type of jewelry or shoes with them. Beiges, earthy tones, olive, black, white, and gray are all great color choices! Basics are usually incredibly cheap, god bless. 

5. Make sure they fit

Everyone has a different body type so naturally clothing will fit everyone differently. When it comes to looking like you make a six-figure paycheck, make sure the clothes you choose fit your body in a way that compliments your shape. Not everyone will enjoy the look of skin tight jeans or baggy sweaters. If you feel good, you look good — and people will notice!

6. Shoes

There’s an insane amount of shoes out there for less than $30 that look incredible. Target is one of my favorite stores for this sole reason. Let’s say you buy a killer pair of thigh high boots and the rest of your outfit is insanely cheap— you’ll still end up looking on point. It’s all about the shoe choice and how you decide to style it. A nice pair of comfy slides can also look a lot more expensive than they actually are.

7. Thrift shopping

If you haven’t thought about thrift shopping yet, you really are missing out. Living in Richmond, the thrift culture here is huge. You’re bound to find something that you love for a great price, including designer items. There’s no reason to ignore the beautiful world of thrift shopping. If balling on a budget was a religion, thrift stores would be your church.

8. Nails

Last but not least, take care of your nails! Fingers and toes included. You could dress like a total bum in sweats and a hoodie, but if your nails look beautiful, it can honestly make a huge difference in your look. I personally love sticking to neutral colors for my nails because I like them to go with everything, but feel free to experiment and even add designs for a little more flair.

Clearly you don’t have to spend an insane amount of money to look amazing. But remember that although looking luxurious is fun, feeling good is even better. So if looking good makes you feel good, then why not? Your wallet will also thank you!

Photo credits: cover, 1, 2, 3.

An advertising student at VCU and human bean. You can catch her outside lost somewhere or laughing at her own jokes. She'll claim Chief Keef is her cousin, don't believe her for the love of god. She has a passion for creative writing, music, and people.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!