How to Keep Your Skin Glowing This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Winter is the epitome of dry skin. With cold, dry air, it’s easy for your skin to become your worst nightmare. Unlike the summer where your skin is glowing (with sweat), at least it’s not dry and itchy. Here are seven ways you can keep your skin glowing this winter:

1. Moisturize

Make sure you’re moisturizing, especially right after taking a shower or washing your face.

2. Exfoliate

Be sure you’re washing your face morning and night to get rid of any dead and dry skin cells residing on your face.

3. Watch your water temperature

Cut the hot showers and stick to medium-warm showers. Long exposure to super-hot water can take the moisture out of your skin

4. Bundle Up

You’ve heard of sunburn and maybe even cloud-burn, but did you know there was such thing as wind-burn? If it’s cold and windy, make sure you’re wearing a hat and scarf when you venture out into the cold this winter to prevent wind-burn.

5. Vitamin C is key

Eating foods high in vitamin C such as bell peppers, kiwi, broccoli and citrus fruits will help to produce collagen which is the molecule that increases skin cell production keeping your skin looking fresh and new.

6. Hydration 

Staying hydrated is always great, but it’s especially needed during the winter months to ensure skin cell production and to keep skin clear of any impurities like acne. 

7. DIY Masks

Pinterest is a beautiful thing, especially for finding fun and simple DIY masks. These masks can help moisturize, exfoliate and cleanse your face 100 times better than your everyday cleanser. 

Pictures: 1 2

Meagan is a Junior at Virginia Commonwealth University obtaining a degree in bachelor of Science (B.S) with a concentration in Health Science. Meagan would describe herself as a free spirit whose goal in life is to be happy. She is interested in natural and organic beauty products and enjoys fashion and makeup. Although she does not label herself as vegan, she tries to eat mostly plant-based. Meagan's career goal is to be a health and wellness writer for a company. She will be graduation in the year 2020. Currently, Meagan is an active She enjoys all things natural beauty and sustainability. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia where she lived with her Mom, Dad, and older brother who attends Virginia Tech.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!