Life > Experiences

How I Channeled My Inner Blair Waldorf In Paris 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you are a former (or current) Gossip Girl fan, then you are well aware that the life of Blair Waldorf is the epitome of Parisian chic. From the matching Chanel sets to the soft pink breakfast macaroons, Blair’s choice of clothing and foods were always très magnifique. 

This past Fall semester, I began watching Gossip Girl. Almost every night in my dorm room, I would air the episodes on my computer while sipping on matcha tea and applying a face mask. It wasn’t long before I grew emotionally invested in the fictitious unfolding of Gossip Girl’s elite Upper East Side. But, what really drew me to the series was the impromptu trips Blair took to Paris. Her rendezvous across the city with her best friend, Serena Van Der Woodsen (my namesake), made me wonder what it would be like to visit the city of love, le ville de l’amour. 

Curious, I began scanning through ads of airline deals… just for fun. In my free time, I would bookmark Instagram reels of the best Parisian cafe spots… of course only because they were on my For You page. When I was bored, I’d create Pinterest boards of Parisian outfit inspiration and read French travel blogs. It wasn’t anything serious, though. 

But, when I stepped into gate 3B of Charles de Gaulle airport in France at 6:30 a.m. GMT, I realized that my little obsession manifested into a huge once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Oops!

It was a November Paris — warm crisp air sprinkled with the fluttering autumn orange leaves from changing trees. Everything felt beautiful – the encompassing smooth tone of the French language, the detailed architecture, and the high fashion complimented with designer bags. Simply put, it was the joie de vivre — joy of living. The laissez faire aura from locals transported me to a different world — one of indulgence, pleasure, and of course, Blair Waldorf. During my adventures in Paris, I mirrored Blair’s vacations: I frolicked the streets of Champs-Élysées, indulged in one too many pain au chocolats, and shopped till I dropped. Wandering the long corridors of the Louvre, soaking in the breathtaking Palais Garnier views, and spending my nights watching the Eiffel Tower glitter was absolutely magical. 

Although I did not meet the Prince of Monaco and leave him my Louboutin as Blair did in the show, I did realize the power and universal language of love. I remember watching in awe as an engagement ring was presented to a woman in the Four Seasons, I recall smiling to myself as a newlywed couple fastened a love lock to the Pont Alexandre bridge, and I still picture the same elderly husband and wife feeding ducks in the park together. Though Paris itself was absolutely gorgeous, there was something even more lovely about the people I encountered. 

Maybe it was the kind woman working at the bakery who helped me pick out pastries in the morning or the strangers I danced with to accordion rhythms on the moonlit streets that made me feel so alive in Paris. At that point, it became more than just playing a Gossip Girl character: it was actually about discovering who I was and soaking in moments where I felt pure joy. I think it was the tears that welled in my eyes as I waved goodbye from my airplane window seat or my reluctance in storing away my beret that made me realize how much I had fallen in love with the city. Although I did romanticize the city at times, my experience was still everything I had hoped it would be. And, I know this isn’t a permanent goodbye. There are still so many more adventures to experience. After all, Season 4 of Emily in Paris is airing on Netflix this December… and I’m taking that as a sign. Au Revoir! 

Serena Goyal is currently a first-year Biology major and Chemistry minor in the Guaranteed Admissions Program for Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University. As a Girl Scout for numerous years and a podcast founder/host, Serena has worked to empower women at local, national, and global levels. She is excited to now join the Editorial team for Her Campus to combine her love of writing and her passion to make a difference. In her free time, Serena enjoys going to the gym, trying new foods, and traveling the world!