Style

How to Dress Casual and Still Feel Dressed Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In high school, I used to be the girl that went the extra mile to get ready in the morning. Every night after dinner, I would try on possible outfits to wear to school the next day. I would hand-pick every accessory down to the earrings and socks. Call it excessive, but to me, dressing good meant feeling good. It even won me the “Best Dressed” senior superlative. 

Two Hanged Blue Stonewash And Blue Jeans
Mica Asato / Pexels

Fast forward two years later as a second-year college student, I have absolutely no clue how I did that. Having an irregular schedule compared to the consistent everyday 6:30 a.m. alarms undoubtedly caused my motivation to waver. My wardrobe has also been shedding overtime. My closet currently consists of something along the lines of medium-wash denim, Nike sneakers, hoodies and pullovers. How do I work with everyday basics like that?

If you can relate to any of the above, there is hope. It turns out, basics are considered everyday wear for a reason. It’s a great way to feel comfy as well as put your own twist on things! If for some apparent reason, you don’t own anything listed above, don’t fret. They can literally be found at almost any store just about anywhere. 

There’s no hesitation that fashion is one thing that will be ever-changing. Minimalism has sprouted in the past years, impacting the influence of streetwear. The simplicity of clean-cut and simple colors is the foundation of basic clothing. Even the “off-duty model” look consists of jeans and a graphic t-shirt or even sweatpants and a monochrome crop top. The casual essence of streetwear makes it easy for anyone to be able to pull together a pair of leggings and a cardigan and still feel like they can strut the runway. 

Socialcut
S O C I A L . C U T / Unsplash

A simple white t-shirt on its own can go a long way. It can be paired with a statement jacket, colored denim, maxi-skirts and the list goes on forever. Next time you think that there is nothing in your closet, don’t forget how many ways your white tee can go with everything. A casual way to dress up but still feel comfortable is my one of a kind match. Sneakers with dresses. Before you scrunch your nose in disgust, hear me out. Tuning down the formality of wearing a dress with a subtle pair of sneakers could be your savior.

Jewelry can also spice up any outfit if paired correctly. The options are endless in this department. Earrings, necklaces, rings and bracelets come in all different shapes and sizes. Statement necklaces can complement a solid colored shirt perfectly to pull the outfit together. Tiered earrings have been known to shine through when paired with blouses or dresses with a low neckline. Last but not least, rings always catch the attention of people. When people talk, they use their hands a lot, so wearing rings can draw a lot of attention to you. 

In conclusion, casual-wear does not have to be dressed up every time it’s worn. 

But come on, who wouldn’t want to experience the simplicity of basic clothing?

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3

Victoria grew up in Northern Virginia and is a Junior at VCU this year. She is majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in Digital Journalism and dreams of pursuing a career involved in Fashion Editing. She loves traveling, listening to music 24/7, and learning about new cultures.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!