How to Craft a Professional Email

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The qualities of an appropriate email vary depending on the recipient and the relationship between the two parties. Before crafting an email, consider the recipient’s personality. Is he or she all about business or is he or she witty and playful? Also consider previous conversations you both have shared; has the recipient ever expressed to you the tone with which he or she would like to be contacted? These are important things to consider before sitting down to craft this email. Also consider the following:

1. Time Management

Give yourself time to draft the email a couple of times. Sometimes, the right words to say don’t reveal themselves in one sitting. Allow yourself time to take a break from the email to prevent yourself from saying anything you don’t explicitly intend to say. Manage your time in a way that allows you to revisit the email with fresh ideas of the best way to convey your message. Allocate time for the recipient to view, digest and respond to the email; if you need a response by a certain date, try to send the email at least a week in advance. This method gives the recipient time to sift through his or her emails, think about a quality response to your email and craft a proper response to your email in return.

2. Check the Recipient and Subject

Check and double check that the email is being sent to the correct person with the correct email address. It would be a shame for a time sensitive email, such as one that requests a reference letter or a signature, to never make it to the right person.

The subject line should provide a concise description of the body of the email. For example, If you are writing to your professor regarding a question on course material, it should include the topic of the question. In this case, it is also key to include from where the professor knows you such as the course in which you are enrolled.

I.e. Subject: BIOL303 MWF Cellular Respiration Inquiry

3. Greetings!

Greet the recipient professionally using his or her professional title. For example, if you are writing to your professor Smith who has a PhD in psychology, consider greeting him by saying, “Hello Dr. Smith,” or “Good Afternoon, Dr. Smith,” or  simply, “Dr. Smith.” This way the recipient is positive that he or she has received the correct email.

When in doubt, do not use greetings such as, “Hi,” or “What’s up,” or “Hey.” More times than not, these terms are seen as unprofessional.

4. Body

The body of the text should be as concise as possible. Assume that the recipient is just as busy as you are if not more. Make his or her life a little easier by lightening the load. Retain only vital information within the body such as your purpose, your expectations and sensitive deadlines.

5. Signature

Finish your email with a kind, respectful word or phrase such as, “Respectfully, [Your name],” or “Thank you, [Your name]. This will remind the recipient from whom the letter was email was sent and in what manner.

Again, it is vital to acknowledge the relation you share with the recipient. If he or she always greets you with, “Hi,” it may be appropriate to respond back with the same energy. These guidelines may not suit every professional relationship and can be catered in a way that best conveys your message in a professional way. When in doubt, ask!

I hope these tips help you with all of your professional endeavors!

She is black, but she is not bitter. She is stern, but she is not rigid. She is tolerant, but she is not weak-minded. She is powerful, but she is not intimidating. She is wise but she is not all-knowing. She is spiritual, but she is not divine. She is analytical, but she is not uninspired. She is female, but she cannot be muted. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!