How to be Better at Living in the Moment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you are anything like me, you spend a lot of time thinking and planning for the future. Don’t get me wrong, it can be extremely beneficial, but like they say, too much of anything can be harmful. If you spend more time stressing over the future than enjoying the present or just have a hard time fully living in the moment, then these tips should help you out.

1. Enjoy others

Putting down then phone when you are around your friends and family is a great way to be in the moment. Give your full attention to those around you. Listen to what they have to say. Have meaningful conversations. You’ll realize how much you are missing out on!

2. Don’t dwell on the past

It is really hard to enjoy the now if all that is on your mind is the past. Stopping putting so much of your attention on things that you did yesterday and start focusing on the present. What’s done is done, and there’s no point in dwelling over a past mistake or mishap. After all, all you have is right now.

3. Spend time alone every day

Taking a short five minutes from your day to be alone and reflect on your thoughts and feelings is a great way to appreciate the moment. Use this time to write in a journal or meditate. You could even use this time to do something as simple as breathing. Do whatever is most comfortable and effective for you.

4. Stop excessive planning

I’ll be the first to admit that I excessively plan. I have always been one to keep some sort of agenda to make sure each of my days are planned perfectly to the tee. While this can help to stay organized, over-planning can be unhealthy. In order to live in the moment, every second of every day can’t be planned. It just isn’t realistic. Leave time in your day for spontaneous adventures and unplanned events.

5. Try to worry less about the unknown

Although it is important to make decisions that will benefit your future, constantly stressing about it can keep you from living in the moment. The future is going to happen whether you stress over it or not, so it’s best to not worry and just enjoy life as it comes at you. Having goals for and plans for the future is important, but you have to make sure that you don’t get carried away. Don’t let all of the thoughts about the future take away from living in today and being present in every moment.

image credit

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!