you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HCVCU Interviews Intern Queen Lauren Berger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Lauren Berger was dubbed the “Intern Queen” after completing 15 internships during her four years of college. Since then, she created InternQueen.com, an online resource that helps students find both internship and career opportunities, as well as post career advice. Berger has become one of the nation’s leading career and internship experts and has been featured on The Today Show, Fox & Friends, The New York Times, The New York Post, Bloomberg, Teen Vogue and more! She is also the author of national campus best-seller ALL WORK NO PAY: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience. Her new book WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD hits shelves on Tuesday, April 22nd! 

Last week, Lauren Berger came to VCU to speak to students about how to land that dream internship/career. HCVCU got the incredible opportunity to interview her face-to-face! 

What inspired you to create Intern Queen?

I had 15 internships in college which was crazy and they all taught me so much about who I wanted to be both personally and professionally and so I knew that I wanted to read more information about internships. I realized there was a lack of information for young people about how to be successful with internships and careers so a light bulb went off and I thought, “what if I were the person that helped other people create their dream jobs and get great experiences?”

What motivated you to complete all of these internships when you were in college?

My mom called me when I was a freshman and she called and kept calling and said I had to get an internship. She really wouldn’t let me off the hook about it, so at a young age, when I was a freshman, I went to the career center asking about internships and they actually couldn’t help me and said I couldn’t get one until I was a senior. I learned very early on that you have to take initiative and sometimes when you get rejected, you have to take matters into your own hands.

What is a misconception that you see students make when applying for internships?

I think that people don’t apply for enough internships. They only apply for one, two or three thinking they’ll land something. A lot of people also think that because they have a personal connection somewhere, they’re going to get in the door and then a lot of times, it falls through for a number of different reasons, so don’t rely on one opportunity to come through. Always have a backup plan.

What kind of questions should you ask interviewers when they ask “Do you have any questions”?

You should always ask if they could describe a day in the life as an intern at their company. That way, you have a better idea of what the internship is going to be like. Also, if you’re choosing between two internships, that’s going to really help you make your decision.

What’s the best way to find jobs leading up to graduation?

I always say, “Your job is to get a job.”  I think the best thing to do is pretend you actually have a 9-5 job and your position is getting yourself a job. You wake up, you get dressed, you either work from home or go to a coffee shop and for 6-8 hours every day, your job is to think of creative ways to get a job. A small portion of that is going to be going on job boards and applying online. You’re going to have to force yourself to be creative and think outside of the box.

Outside of Intern Queen, what are other good resources when looking for internships/jobs?

I think the career center is the most overlooked resource. You have to take initiative and go to the career center and make sure they know your name because their phone is ringing off the hook five days a week about opportunities for you and jobs for you and if you don’t go in their enough and remind them of who you are and what you want to do, there’s no way that they’re going to remember you when the right opportunity comes along. Really utilizing the career center is key. Also, I would go in and become best friends with the people who run the alumni centers at your university because they’re the ones who communicate with the different chapters of your alumni association all around the country. They’re going to know about the rock star alumni who have started their own businesses or are leading executives at different places.

What is the best go-to outfit for an interview?

I think a blazer is great. I think a business suit for a guy or a girl is definitely the way to go. I love how today you’ve incorporated a statement necklace. That’s a great way to show off some personality and add some color. A basic business suit is your template outfit for every interview. You can wear the same one every time and no one has to know.

How do you check in with potential employers after an interview?

You follow up with a thank you email and you follow up with a hand-written thank you note in the mail. Then, I would give it a week, unless the employer has indicated a specific time frame that you’re suppose to hear from them in. If you don’t hear from them in that time frame, then a week later, you can follow up and just say you wanted to check in and say you knew they were moving forward with their internship decisions and see if they require any additional materials. Always wait at least a week and then follow up.

Last-minute advice for HCVCU readers?

My new book comes out on Tuesday, Welcome to the Real World. It’s all about how to be successful after graduation. It’s the book I wish that I had. My life was crazy when I graduated and I had a ton of internships. Even the most prepared job candidates need to read the book and learn to handle the real world.

Kristina Hipolito is a Chesapeake native and a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. As a Mass Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations, she has a passion for writing, traveling, and event planning. Her aspirations include one day moving to the big city and working in either the entertainment travel/leisure, or media industry as a PR Professional, Marketing Coordinator, or Event Planner. In her spare time, you can find her on campus running to her next meeting or updating her multiple social networking sites. Follow her on Twitter @ktinaah or read her blog kristinahipolito.blogspot.com!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!