HC VCU Interviews Germicidal Ink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Jeremy “Germ” Howard is a tattoo artist currently based in River City Body Art in Chesterfield Towne Center Mall with 12 years of professional tattoo experience. If you are interested in his work, you can visit his website, his Facebook or email him at Germicidal@gmail.com. You can also follow him on Instagram (@GermicidalInk) to keep up with his work!

How long have you been in the tattoo business?

I have been professionaly tattooing since 2002.

What is the most popular tattoo you do? 

There are always going to be rising and falling trends in tattoo art, whether it’s a tribal armband or a nautical star or infinity symbol. The current rising trend is the semicolon, typically on the wrist. Over the long term of my career, I’d say I’ve tattood more koi fish than anything else. Mind you, there’s nothing wrong with trends or “common” tattoo themes: popular ideas spread because they appeal to so many of us universally, and classic themes endure because they convey ideas that we all can agree on.

What’s one of your favorite memories in your current shop? 

I tatooed an actual fighter jet pilot. He insisted that he wasn’t the pilot, he was the captain: he didn’t fly the jet, he only gave orders and navigated and operated weapons. It had been awhile since he’d retired, but in his time he was also in the movie “Top Gun” sometimes in the footage, and sometimes training the actors on how be more jet-pilotey. He got a very traditional koi fish, and as a tip he gave me a very excellent tattoo book.

What is something not a lot of people know about the industry?

I’d say more than anything, so many customers will put way too much emphasis on getting something original, something that nobody else has. A tattoo is special to the person wearing it, regardless if no one or everyone has the same tattoo. Very original ideas are extremely few and far between. Again, popular ideas and traditions persist for an important reason: because in a culture where so many of our differences are emphasized and imposed, trends and styles unify us on a person to person level, they are common ground through which we can find friendship and understanding.

What are the biggest challenges you’ve faced?

Thinking of prices! Creating an image out of abstract ideas is sometimes easy, sometimes difficult, always worth whatever effort. Instantly figuring how much time that process will take and the value of the final product is always difficult. If I didn’t have to pay stupid bills, I’d give them all away for free!

What’s the most rewarding aspect of this job?

I get to meet lots of new and interesting people, and after learning a bit about their perspectives on life, I get to send them on their way with a smile :)

Katie is a 21 year old Psychology major at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her legal name is Katherine, but only her mother can call her that when she's in trouble. She loves coffee, lipstick, science, leggings, and people who properly cite their sources.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!