Greek of the Week: Shalynn Atkins from Alpha Sigma Alpha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Shalynn Atkins is the perfect represenation of Alpha Sigma Alpha and is this week’s Greek of the Week! She’s motivated, charismatic and genuine. I had the opportunity to interview her and find out her view on greek life at Virginia Commonwealth University. 

***

Shalynn Atkins

Sorority: Alpha Sigma Alpha

Mascot: Lady Bug

Motto: Aspire, Seek, Attain

Colors: Crimson, Palm Green, Gold and Pearl White

Quick Facts about Shalynn:

Age: 19

Major: Undeclared (with an interest in fashion!)

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Relationship Status: Single

Sorority Position: N/A but is interested in Standards chair. This position enforces the rules and makes sure every member of the organization lives up to Alpha Sigma Alpha’s standards.

Shalynn’s Favorites:

Color: Purple!

Animal: Penguin

Designer: Betsey Johnson

Season: Spring

Food: Fried Chicken

Store: Oh that’s a tough one. I’d go with Michael Kors.

Book: Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe by Anthony Summers 

Why did you choose to come to VCU?

I heard about their fashion program and was intrigued. I also love the city life!

Why did you choose to join Alpha Sigma Alpha?

I joined ASA because I felt like I could be myself without them judging me and it felt like home. I also like how they don’t adhere to that “stereotypical” sorority image.

What is something unique to Alpha Sigma Alpha?

I like that all of the sisters are very diverse and have different personalities.

Describe a time when your sisters were really there for you.

A family member of mine AND a friend passed away around the same time and my sisters were constantly messaging me asking if I was okay and if I needed anything. This made me feel the sisterhood in the sense that I had a support system to turn to in a time of great need.

How do you respond to people who are afraid to join a sorority due to rumors of hazing?

I would say that hazing is strictly against the rules at VCU. When you join a sorority the sisters are supposed to love you for all that you are and never force you to do something you aren’t comfortable with.

How do you respond to people who think that you are paying for your friends?

I’m paying for what my sorority gives back to me. The fundraiser events that correspond to our wonderul philanthropy, the sisterhood events that bring us closer together and the date functions where lifelong memories are made. There is a difference between having a friend and having a sister — it’s just a different bond.

What do you feel is a common misconception about sorority women?

That is a great question! A lot of people believe that sorority women are centered around the partying scene. They believe that sorority women are stuck up only care about themselves, and that they secretly hate all their sisters.

Are you involved in any organizations outside of Alpha Sigma Alpha?

I am involved in Students Today Alumni Tomorrow (STAT).

Which celebrity do you look up to and why?

Marilyn Monroe. I love her because even when she felt down about herself she pushed through hard times and strived to be the best she could be. She kept going.

What do you hope to accomplish with your degree?

I just want to be successful and to explore the world! To be happy.

Where do you see yourself in the future?

I would like to be living in Miami maybe with a family and a dog. I just want to be happy, relaxing on the beach.

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!