Greek of the Week: Linh Huynh, AOII Keeper of the Ritual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Alpha Omicron Pi
Mascot: Panda
Color: Cardinal Red
Philanthropy: Arthritis Foundation
Nickname: AOII (pronounced A-O-Pie)

When you think of the type of girl that joins a sorority, what picture comes to mind? Is she tall, short, skinny, blonde, vapid? Many people have a perception that women in sororities are all the same, when in actuality, they are not.  Greek of the week is meant to showcase the many different, interesting, and intelligent women that have decided to make Greek life their home.

She doesn’t like to step on cracks, she takes the cheese off of her cheese pizza, she’s 
an art major, a VCU student and a sorority woman! Linh Huynh is anything but your average sorority girl. She’s funny, artistic, pretty, and a lot of fun to talk to! As a part of Alpha Omicron Pi, Linh has learned to balance being Greek along with the demanding life of being an art major. At the age of 20, Linh has managed to incorporate everything that a woman in a sorority should be — kind, smart, and most importantly, UNIQUE.  

Quick Facts about Linh Huynh (pronounced Lynn Hwin-it rhymes):                              

Major: Graphic Design with a minor in media studies
Year: Junior
Hometown: Burke, Virginia
Ethnicity: Vietnamese
Relationship Status: Single
Sorority Position: Keeper of the Ritual (basically she keeps all of the secrets)
Length in AOII: 3 years

Linh’s favorites:
Color: Aqua
Food: I have a lot, but I really like tiramisu! 
Favorite article of clothing: It’s not really an article of clothing, but my swallow with a pearl necklace.

How many piercings do you have?
8, no wait, 10. I don’t know how I got eight.

What is one thing people don’t know about you or would be surprised to know?
I have to have Chap Stick around me all the time, or I’ll freak out. Preferably strawberry. OH! I also like to fold my little plastic bags into triangles, because they take up too much space and it bothers me.

Why  did you join a sorority?
I was living off campus and I wanted a second family since I didn’t think I would know anyone otherwise. I thought it would be a great way to meet new people.

What is your favorite thing about being in AOII?
 My sisters.

What is one common misconception about sorority girls?
That they all have to be the same person, but when you think about it, there are so many of them that obviously everyone is not going to be the same.  Everyone thinks that there is a cookie cutter stereotype but that’s not true at all.

Are you a part of any other clubs/organizations?
 STAT(Student Today Alumnae Tomorrow)

How do you balance being in a sorority and schoolwork?
Definitely having a planner, an hourly planner. It has definitely taught me time management.

What is one thing unique to AOII? 

Me! Just kidding. I don’t know how it is in other sororities, but I feel an honest connection to my sisters and there is always someone there for me.

What is a big?
A big is someone who is supposed to be their to guide their little and help them through the new memembership/initiation process. The main important thing is that they will be a good example and someone they can turn to.

When is a time that your sisters have really been there for you?
When my dad died in February, some of my sisters came to support me in my hometown.

Do you feel like you are paying for your friends?
No, I feel like I am paying for us to go and participate in fun events, such as formal or semi-formal.

What are your Pet Peeves? 
When people chew with their mouth open. 

Is there anything that people should know about AOPII?
We have such a variety of girls, but yet we are able to find something to relate to in each and every one of them. 

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo