Greek of the Week: Ines Tomsig from Alpha Gamma Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Meet this week’s Greek of the Week: Ines Tomsig!

Facts about her sorority:

Sorority: Alpha Gamma Delta

Chapter: Theta Nu

Position: None right now. But I am running for a couple of positions in the fall like PR, VP Campus Relations and VP Operations.

Mascot: Skiouros the Squirrel

Motto: Live with Purpose

Colors: Red, Buff and Green

Things to know about Ines: 

Hometown: Charlottesville, Virginia           

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Exercise Science

Favorites:

Color: Mint Green

Animal: Squirrel duh

TV shows: House of Cards, 30 Rock and Entourage

Singer/band: Dave Matthews

Store/designer: Free People, Urban Outfitters, Forever 21

Why did you choose to come to VCU?

I transferred from a small university that had a little over 5,000 students and I didn’t feel like I was getting the most out of my college experience. I’m a city person and I have always wanted to live in Richmond.

Why did you choose to join Greek life?

I was extremely hesitant at first, but I wanted my transition into a new school as easy as possible for me. Joining Greek Life was hands down the best decision I made as a college student.  

What is something that is unique about your sorority?

Alpha Gamma Delta is an International Women’s Fraternity that really stresses this organization is not just for four years, but it’s for life. The Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation provides scholarships, educational grants and emergency financial assistance for sisters who urgently need it down the road. It’s really cool that your support system doesn’t just fade after you graduate; you know you always have people behind you to help.

What is one of your favorite events your sorority puts on?

Last fall we held a bake sale with the help of another CPC organization to raise money for an Alpha Gam alum who was diagnosed with cancer a few years back. As a new sister I was totally amazed to see the love and support we give to our sisters who are in need.

Describe a time where your sisters were really there for you.

For the past eight months or so I have had really bad health problems that landed me in the ER twice throughout a six-month period. Allowing myself to open up to my sisters about my issues is 95 percent of the reason why I am still at VCU and decided not to go back home and take a semester off. When something unfortunate creeps into your life it always helps to have people to support you through it. I was lucky enough to have 113 bright young women by my side.

How do you respond to people who have a negative view on Greek life?

I think Greek Life as a whole gets looked down upon because some assume that we are all careless individuals who do nothing but get drunk and have little desire to graduate from college. However I have met some of the most driven people not just in Alpha Gam, but also in different organizations across the board at VCU. I’ve met sorority women and fraternity men who are studying to become doctors, nurses and engineers. My motto is “don’t judge a book by its cover.”

How has your sorority changed your college experience?

I could go on for days about how my organization has changed my experience at VCU in the best way it could have. Alpha Gam has allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and get the most out of my four short years as an undergrad. I believe in the importance of seizing the moment and getting the most out of what is given to you and I have been blessed to experience that everyday with my 113 sisters right by my side.

What would be your advice to someone who is considering joining a sorority?

First things first: be open-minded and do not let rumors you have previously heard determine where you want to go. I had no idea what the sororities were like here, and I was lucky enough to be able to find my home having gone in with an open mind. I came to VCU hating the idea of a sorority, but I do not regret joining one bit. In fact, I don’t know where I would be today without Alpha Gam.

What are some things you like to do in your free time?

I love hanging out with my sisters, watching Netflix, reading and exploring new places to run in Richmond.

What is your favorite spot in Richmond?

Anywhere that serves brunch! Primarily 3 Monkeys and Starlite.

What is your dream job?

My dream job is to be able to give back to those who are in need and are suffering. I have found my calling in Rehabilitation Physical Therapy and can’t wait to start helping those who can’t help themselves.

Hello! My name is Natalie Quinn and I am a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. I am a print journalism major. I love to spend my time writing in my journal, watching netflix and looking at pictures of corgis. :) 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!