Greek of the Week: Alex Montejo from Alpha Xi Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This week’s Greek of the Week is Alex Montejo from Alpha Xi Delta! Alex is in her third year at VCU and serves as Alpha Xi Delta’s College Panhellenic Council Delegate. She’s involved around campus, is studying to become a psychologist and loves the ocean! She is professional and a great representative of Greek life.

***

Alex Montejo

Sorority: Alpha Xi Delta

Chapter: Iota Sigma

Position: I am currently the College Panhellenic Council delegate (CPC delegate for short)

Mascot/Symbol: the Quill, BetXI bear and the pink rose

Motto: The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword

Colors: Double blue and gold

Quick Facts about Alex:

Age: 21

Major: Psychology

Year: Junior

Hometown: Chesapeake, Virginia

Relationship Status: Taken

Alex’s Favorites:

Color: Mint and coral

Animal: Hedgehog

Designer/Store: Nike

Season: Spring

Food: Hawaiian pizza

Book: The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

Why did you choose to come to VCU?

I chose to go to VCU because of its diversity and I liked that the campus was in the middle of the city.

Why did you decide to join Alpha Xi Delta?

I thought it would be a great way to meet people and to be more involved within the VCU and Richmond community.

What is unique about Alpha Xi Delta?

We are very involved with our philanthropy, Autism Speaks, and have weekly opportunities to go out into the community and work with children or adults who have autism.

Describe a time when your sisters were really there for you.

Hmmm that’s a hard one. They are always there for me. One of my most recent memories is when a couple of my sisters drove to Richmond from their hometowns over winter break to surprise me when my boyfriend left for the Air Force for two months. We had a girls night and they reassured me that everything was going to be okay. And every now and then they swipe me food! #brokecollegekidprobs

How do you respond to people who are afraid to join a Greek organization due to rumors of hazing?

They shouldn’t worry about that because VCU has a strict no hazing policy and organizations caught breaking that rule will face serious consequences.

How do you respond to people who say you are “paying for your friends?”

This is going to be such a basic answer, but as the saying goes: “If I had to pay for my friends, I surely didn’t pay enough.” I honestly feel that with my group of friends in Alpha Xi, we will be friends even after college and probably be causing mayhem in New York City or something.

What do you feel is a common misconception about Greek organizations?

That we are stuck up and don’t care for other people except ourselves when in reality all Greek organizations spend a lot of their time raising awareness and money for their philanthropy.

How has Alpha Xi Delta changed your college experience?

It has definitely helped me become a stronger leader and take on responsibilities that I never thought I could handle before. It has also been a great way to meet new people on a daily basis!

Are you involved in any other organizations on campus?

Not at the moment, but I was involved in Students Today Alumni Tomorrow (STAT) which allows students to connect with alumni in their field of study. I was also in the Student Government Association (SGA), which helps regulate activities within the campus community.

Who is a celebrity you look up to and why?

Angelina Jolie. Because she started out as a reckless young adult and now is a great mom to all of her children while being a Goodwill ambassador helping children and families around the world.

What is your favorite spot in Richmond and why?

Carytown, because of all the places you can eat at!

What are some things you like to do in your free time?

I like to explore Richmond and watch Netflix like every other college student.

What do you hope to accomplish with your degree?

I want to continue into graduate school with my psychology degree and hopefully end up with a masters in counseling psychology.

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!