Greek of the Week: Aashna Patel from Alpha Xi Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Meet our greek of the week Aashna Patel from Alpha Xi Delta!

Sorority: Alpha Xi Delta

Chapter: Iota Sigma

Mascot/symbol: Betxi Bear/The Quill

Motto: “The pen is mightier than the sword.”

Colors: Double Blue and Gold

Facts about Aashna:

Hometown: Strongsville, Ohio

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Economics

Involved in any other organizations? Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity

Favorites:

Color: Blue

Animal: Koala Bear

TV shows: Gossip Girl, The Hills, 90210

Singer/band: Drake

Store/designer: Charlotte Russe/Kate Spade

Why did you choose to come to VCU?

I chose to come to VCU because of its diversity. You can express yourself in any way at VCU and there will always be someone who supports you. VCU might be a big school, but it’s also a big family. There’s no other place I’d rather be.

Why did you choose to join Greek life?

Greek life has a lot of stereotypes. Stereotypes such as the prepsters, or the people who just pay for their friends. I chose to join Greek life because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself; something that I know would be a part of my life forever. Greek life at VCU is not like Greek life at other universities, and I love that. Everyone can be a part of an organization and not have to worry about “conforming” to a certain type; you can just be yourself with the people who love and respect you for who you are.

What is something that is unique about Alpha Xi Delta?

There are plenty of things that are unique about my sorority, but the one thing that is really unique about my sorority is the diversity we have. When you look at my sorority, you can see girls from everywhere. We all are different in many ways, including different majors, interests, fashion, cultures, etc. but together, we make one of the most amazing chapters that I’m so proud to be a part. TFJ forever.

What is one of your favorite events your sorority puts on?

This past fall semester, my sorority put on an event called the Kick-Or-Treat Soccer Tournament. We had different fraternities, sororities, and other VCU organizations and students sign up in co-ed teams. The teams also had the option to have our own girls play with them, which was awesome seeing my other sisters play a sport that I love. We raised a very good amount of money to donate to our philanthropy, Autism Speaks, and got to have a very good time. It’s definitely an event I look forward to happening this upcoming fall.

Describe a time where your sisters were really there for you.

My sisters are always there for me, no matter what the time or place. However, if I had to pick one time that really stood out to me, it would have to be my nineteenth birthday. Every year on my birthday since I had turned 13, my birthday had been a very sad day. My uncle passed away from his second heart attack and my whole family was devastated. Up until I came to college, I never celebrated my birthday. My sisters, knowing how sad my birthday had been for the past six years, went completely out of their way to show me that my birthday is something to celebrate. They took me out to dinner, got me flowers and a cookie cake, and just reminded me that it is okay to celebrate my birthday, and that my uncle would be okay with it.

How do you respond to people who have a negative view on Greek life?

My response is simple and blunt: Don’t judge a book by its cover. Greek life is a lot different at VCU than other universities and it is very different than how it is portrayed on TV shows like Greek. Even if people do not think that Greek life is their calling, I still suggest to everyone that they should go through recruitment or fraternity rush to really get an insight of what it is really all about so they develop a new view on Greek life.

How has your sorority changed your college experience?

My sorority has changed my college experience in many ways, but especially for being my home away from home. They are always there for me when I need them and they are always helping me grow into the woman I want to be one day. I know that if all else fails, I’ll always have my sisters and that will never change.

What would be your advice to someone who is considering joining a sorority?

Go in with an open mind and find your home away from home. Be with the people who will love and respect you on the worst day of your life and even the best day of your life. Most importantly, join the sorority that you will want to continue to be a part of for not just your college years, but for the rest of your life.

What are some things you like to do in your free time?

In my free time, I like to hangout with my sisters, go on walks through Richmond, trying new local restaurants that no one has ever heard of and just enjoy the beauty of Richmond.

What is your favorite spot in Richmond?

My favorite spot of Richmond is Carytown. It’s one of the most unique places I’ve been to in Richmond and always brings me to joy when I go there.

What is your dream job?

Being a Field Marketing Associate for a large corporation.

Hello! My name is Natalie Quinn and I am a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. I am a print journalism major. I love to spend my time writing in my journal, watching netflix and looking at pictures of corgis. :) 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!