Four Childhood Icons You Can No Longer Look Up To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

1. Miley Cyrus

We knew her best as “Hannah Montana,” an average schoolgirl by day and a world famous popstar by night. We all once looked up to this southern sweetheart, but after the unfortunate ending of one our favorite shows, Miley Cyrus switched up on us. It started subtle. She began “wearing less and going out more.” While some felt that she had become a “good girl gone bad,” others felt that she was trapped in a “Disney Channel façade” and had finally learned how to express herself. However, this wasn’t the problem. As Miley began to find herself, she decided to dabble in various forms of cultural appropriation along the way. Miley, what’s good?

2. Stacey Dash

Where to begin? Should we start with her infamous victim-blaming of the UVA women that were raped because “they’re bad girls who like to be naughty?” Or what about her refusal to acknowledge White privilege and the wage gap? The former childhood favorite also believes that Black History Month is ridiculous and that the BET (Black Entertainment Television) Channel shouldn’t exist because “these insidious things only keep us segregated and invoke false narratives.” Stacey is an outspoken Fox News anchor, so her Twitter is full of problematic opinions. If you haven’t had a good laugh in a while, take a look. It’s kind of ironic. She just sounds so Clueless.

3. Demi Lovato

It was hard for us to believe that the girl we loved on “As the Bell Rings” was really this much of a hypocrite, but then we saw the receipts. In 2009, Demi was a “#WomanAgainstFeminism,” but changed her views and said that she considered herself a feminist before it was cool. Something isn’t adding up here. Back in February of this year, Demi told us to “RELAX with all the contouring!!!!” Is an explanation for that quote really necessary? However, what bothered us the most was her sorry attempt at taking away Zendaya’s shine the day her Barbie doll premiered because she wanted to see “a curvy doll or one with true-to-size measurements.” Demi, let it go.

4. Raven Symoné

Black girls everywhere looked up to Raven and aspired to be just like her. We loved her hair. We loved her clothes. We even fought to the death to “be” Raven every time we watched “The Cheetah Girls.” Now, we try our best to forget that any of that ever happened. Raven was another one of our favorite childhood celebrities that switched up on us after joining some problematic television show, “The View.” She said she wouldn’t hire someone with a “ghetto” name, she blamed the victim in the recent assault at Spring Valley High and told Beyoncé to put on some pants. You do NOT tell Beyoncé to wear pants. Raven, take your own advice and Just Fly Away.

Erica Dabney is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. Some of her favorite activities include discovering new music, tearing down the patriarchy and dining out at black-owned restaurants in Richmond. She plans to graduate with her bachelors in journalism in 2019.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!