Founder of Dirgy Styles Clothing, Andy Wolfe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In this week’s Campus Celebrity article, I sat down with the founder of Dirgy Styles Clothing, Andy Wolfe, as he shares how his clothing line was born, how he keeps a level head, and his hobbies and past-times outside of his clothing business.

Where did the name Dirgy come from?

”Dirgy” is something I thought I heard on a DJ instructional VHS tape when I got my first set of turntables in 8th grade. Later on in high school, while brainstorming brand names, I asked my friend at the time whether or not he liked the name “Dirgy,” and he digged it. It also sort of just felt like it was the right name. I still do not know if he actually said “dirgy” in the video, or if I just thought I heard it. 

What inspired you to start Dirgy?
I have always been an entreprenuer that wanted to start my own company and do something that I love. In high school, I was making custom hats and shirts, and then I realized I wanted to create my own brand. 

Who are some of your biggest inspirations?

My biggest inspirations are hip hop artists Wale and Macklemore (I have a ton of other inspirations, but those are the two main ones).

Do you have any new items coming out?

Not right now. I’m waiting to see how the next couple months play out… watch out for 2013.

Do you have a job outside of managing your company?

Yes, I work at Express. 

How do you balance everything?

I don’t really know. I just try and work hard at everything I do. I have a hard time agreeing with what a lot of people consider “realistic,” and I don’t give up.

Is there any advice you would give to up and coming artists?

Work hard and don’t give up.

Do you have any pet peeves?

I don’t like when people tell me something and then don’t follow through. Quite simply, if you know you cant/wont do something, just tell me. I wont be offended.

What are you other hobbies?

I’m really into hip hop music. I used to be into DJing, I would like to get back into it. I also enjoy bike rides, photography, drawing, cars and cooking.

Is there o
ne thing people would be surprised to know about you?
Recently, I have fallen in love with candles. They make my room smell good and they’re relaxing.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
That’s a good question. I would like to continue to grow Dirgy, and to have an office and/or retail boutique.

Check out Dirgy Styles Clothing on Facebook or Tumblr

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.