This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It should not be news to anyone that today’s culture is obsessed with beauty. Everyone strives to look a certain way; to reach their idea of perfection. Women strive to look like Kim Kardashian, Beyoncé, or that hot chick from Game of Thrones. People will try every contour look, DIY face mask, or fad diet in order to feel confident and beautiful. Well look no further, world; these five tips are all you need to become truly sexy.

1. Be kind.

Nothing is sexier than a person who will set aside their needs or wants in order to care for another person. Mean-spirited people cast a cancerous gloom over life, but a kind person can be such a breath of fresh air. People who practice kindness make everyone around them feel better and will often find that more people are kind to them. Kindness brightens the world and softens hearts.

Look at this sexy Norwegian firefighter being kind and saving a cat. 

2. Be a good listener.

Nothing is going to get you noticed like your irresistible ability to listen to and comfort those who need to talk about their hardships. Being able to listen to others broadens our perspectives. People are drawn to those who are able to listen to their problems and good listeners are often more trusted and respected.

This sexy couple is communicating and listening to each other respectfully.

3. Be passionate.

If you want that special someone to notice you, just flaunt your political positions and opinions. Not political? Don’t worry, the passion that you have about your career or favorite hobby will work just as well! Being passionate about something is so important in our world, especially if what you are passionate about is something you love. It is so rewarding to be able to do something you love, even if it is just a hobby, successfully.

Here is Gloria Steinem being passionate about women’s rights. #flawless

4. Have a good work ethic.

Your natural ability to work hard to make a deadline or to study hard for an exam is one of your best assets. Doing your best in school and working hard will put you on that road to success. 

Look at these hardworking students being attractive as they pave their way to success.

5. Be confident.

Pay attention, this is the most important one. Beauty will not be able to truly make you feel great about yourself; but confidence can. Confidence is a great asset to have and it does not have to be rooted in how you look. Try to find confidence in your character and in yourself as a person. Those traits will shine through to people so much brighter than beauty ever can.

Demi is sexy AND confident. Coincidence? No way.

Being pretty is one of the least significant things a person can be. While it may seem like a cliché, it is true that beauty fades but inner beauty does not. Your character is so much more important than your looks. It is so much better to be kind, to be a good listener, to be passionate, to have a good work ethic, to be confident, or to possess any of the other hundred traits that make a good character. As the gorgeous (inside and out) Ashton Kutcher once said, “The sexiest thing in the entire world is being really smart. And being thoughtful. And being generous. Everything else is crap! I promise you! It’s just crap that people try to sell to you to make you feel like less. So don’t buy it. Be smart, be thoughtful, and be generous.”  He would know. Just look at him.

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!