Style > Fashion

5 Items You Probably Own That Can Transition Your Wardrobe From Spring To Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Even though spring has just started, I’m constantly thinking about summer and making various Pinterest boards of the different outfits I want to wear. While the temptation to buy all of the clothes I see on Pinterest is appealing, I often forget about the items I already have in my closet that can easily transition my wardrobe from spring to summer.

Most items that are classified as strictly fall and winter trends can be thrown into the spring wardrobe mix as well. Whether you’re trying to figure out what to do with that old vest your mom gave you or a denim skirt you thrifted over winter break, you can easily integrate those garments into your warm-weather wardrobe.

Linen Blazer

While blazers became trendy over the last two years, the thought of wearing a blazer in warm weather can be daunting. Instead of going for a stuffy blazer that you would wear to an internship interview, swap it out for a colorful linen blazer. Linen is ideal for spring and summer weather since it’s lightweight and breathable. You can also dress up a blazer for a nice spring brunch with family or a night out with friends in the summer.

Denim Skirts

Another trendy yet versatile item is denim skirts; they gained traction during the fall 2022 season. Don’t store your skirt away just yet! You can live out your coastal cowgirl aesthetic dreams or have your “Daisy Jones & The Six” moment this spring and summer by pairing a denim skirt with cowboy boots and a funky western belt. A denim skirt of any length can work for both spring and summer!

Large Totes

Micro-bags and baguette purses have dominated trends for the last couple of years, but the big carry-all tote is coming in hot! If you’re looking for a way to integrate some style into your look for class, try swapping out your backpack for a good-quality canvas or leather tote. Once the semester ends in a few weeks, you’ll be able to transition a large tote into a beach bag or weekender bag if you have a summer trip planned with friends or family.

Button-Up Shirts

I know that you have a nice button-up shirt sitting in the back of your closet from your family’s recent holiday card photoshoot. You can easily transition that single-use top into a cute swimsuit cover-up or pair it with denim shorts and sandals. The key to staying comfortable in a button-up in warmer weather is the fabric content; similar to a blazer, linen and cotton are best as they’re both breathable and keep you cool and dry if it’s extra hot outside.

Vests

Similar to denim skirts, vests became popular last fall and have continued to trend over the last few months. While many people pair their vests with oversized leather jackets or blazers during the colder months, you can utilize the same garment in warmer weather. Whether it’s a linen or crocheted vest, you can easily pair it with high-waisted wide-leg pants or a fun mini or midi skirt. Vests are so versatile that you can have a lunch planned with your grandparents and easily transition your outfit into a dinner date look.

Claudia Stewart is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in art history. She enjoys watching rom-coms, baking double chocolate chip cookies with her roommate, and finding the best spot for sushi in her free time. Stewart loves writing about pop culture, fashion, and beauty.