This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Keeping up with skincare can be time-consuming, challenging and expensive — especially when you’re a busy college student who can’t fit anything into their schedule. But, self-care is super important while you’re in school, and keeping up with yourself doesn’t have to be something that frustrates you. Keeping up with a skincare routine and incorporating certain products within your skin regime can be something that helps you distress. I personally see my skincare routine as something that’s an important part of my day (and night) because it’s something that maintains my confidence and is the time that I get to just focus on myself and my well-being.  I’ve compiled some of my favorite drug store (and drug-store priced) skincare products I like to use and would recommend to any other student trying to save some coin in the skincare department!

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($16)

Walking around campus in the colder temperatures, especially with harsh winds, can be damaging and drying to the skin. I picked up this product at the end of last fall when the temperatures began to drop and my skin started to flake. Hyaluronic acid is something produced in the skin that helps give your skin elasticity, and adding this product to your skin will definitely help in reducing/eliminating flakiness from harsh weather and it has given my skin a glowy appearance! I use this product before adding facial oils and moisturizer. I ordered this from Amazon for $16, but you can get it from other places like Walmart or Target for the same price.

100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil ($9.80)

The Ordinary is a skincare company that sells clinical skincare products at a drug store price! Their 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil is my fave product that I’ve used from them that they offer. This product is said to, and does, even the color of your skin tone and add moisture to your skin. The product is “rich in linoleic acid, linolenic acid and pro-vitamin A” meaning it gives your skin nutrients that are able to reduce “photo-aging.” This is another product that I bought to reduce the impact of harsh temperatures on my skin since I walk around a lot.

CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser ($10.99)

CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is hands down my favorite drug store cleanser there is. Many facial cleansers are prone to drying out your skin and getting rid of too much oil. This facial cleanser is rich in hyaluronic acid; so not only does it prevents drying your skin, but it also adds nutrients to your skin as well. The foaming part of this product also helps with reducing the feeling of dryness after washing your face. Target and Walmart sell this product for $10.99. I also use this product once during the day and once at night at the beginning of my routine.

Tea Tree Oil ($3)

Tea tree oil is one of my favorite products for spot treating my face. Tea tree oil isn’t a product you put all over your face, but on stubborn blemishes that you feel just won’t budge. Tea tree oil is an essential oil that has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Both of these traits are needed when tackling certain blemishes on the skin. The vitamin e in this oil also helps with getting rid of potential marks that blemishes are able to leave on the skin after living their lifetime rent-free on your face. You will not see results overnight when using tea tree oil, it’s something you’d have to use on a consistent basis in order to see true results. This product goes for as low as $2.78 at Walmart, but can also be purchased at Amazon and Target.

Even though luxury and expensive skincare products would seem like the go-to in order to achieve desired results, that isn’t always the case. Saving while having great skin is achievable, but you would have to stay consistent in the process! I personally use all of these products and adding them into my skincare routine has improved my skin in ways that more expensive products haven’t.

Evan studies Political Science with a concentration in International Relations at VCU. He's an enthusiast of the arts, Beyoncé, and iced almond milk lattes.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!