Family Weekend Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As you may know, Family Weekend is fast approaching. This year’s Family Weekend will take place from Oct. 23 to Oct 25. While VCU does have events planned, what better way to spend time with your parents and catch up with them by going somewhere local to eat? Here’s hoping that they’ll pay and here are a few great recommendations!

The Village

Located on 1001 W Grace St, Richmond, VA 23220

The Village is a lovely café located right near campus. They have a wide range of food, anything from burgers to pasta. They also serve breakfast all day. The décor is great and has a very home-like feel to it. Their onion rings are award winning, but the best part about the Village is that they have over one hundred different combinations of milkshakes. This place is definitely worth checking out!

The Strawberry Street Café

Located on 421 Strawberry St, Richmond, VA 23220

This quaint café is located a little further from campus, but the commute is definitely worth it. The Strawberry Street Café has a beautiful aesthetic and has traditions dating back from 1976. One of these is their salad bar, which is situated in an actual bathtub. The whole café has an old fashioned feel to it, each wall has chalk art that’s done by individual artists. They are well known for their brunch and have specialties such as Maryland crab cakes, pasta, homemade chicken pot pie and spinach lasagna.

The Black Sheep

Located on 901 W Marshall St, Richmond, VA 23220

The Black Sheep is known for it’s “veggie-friendly” meals and southern and Cajun cuisine. Most people go to this restaurant to try their renowned subs; these subs are so big that they’re named after battleships! They also have a great southern style brunch. There’s also a cute little patio in the back that is pet friendly, which makes this establishment a plus!

The Daily Kitchen and Bar

Located on 2934 W Cary St, Richmond, VA 23221

The Daily is a great place to go in Carytown. They use all organic, all natural, and local ingredients in their food. They also offer a great selection of vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and paleo options! This place is great for a good healthy meal. The Daily has many different types of food, from soups and salads to pizza and seafood, so surely something here will satisfy your hunger.

The Galaxy Diner

Located 3109 W Cary St, Richmond, VA 23221

This diner wins for cutest theme ever! The entire diner has an outer space feel to it and small, themed booths. Most people go here just for the galaxy atmosphere, but they have some great options. They have a lot of themed food and you can get basically anything fried, like Oreos, Twinkies and pickles! The milkshakes are also out of this world!

Shyndigz

Located on 1903 W Cary St, Richmond, VA 23220

Not feeling dinner or have a sweet tooth? Shyndigz is a dessert-only restaurant. They have everything from cakes to cookies to drinks. Everything is made from one hundred percent scratch. The whole restaurant is adorable, and how can you possibly go wrong with an all dessert restaurant? It’s every chocolate lovers dream!

Lift Coffee Shop

Located on 218 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23220

Lift Coffee Shop is a cute little café that is filled with organic goodies. They have coffee, breakfast sandwiches, bagels and homemade cream cheeses, and specialty sandwiches. They also have indoor and outdoor seating. Everything here is fresh and made to order. This place has a great little coffee shop atmosphere, perfect for catching up with mom and dad!

Here’s hoping that these reccomendations are helpful as you plan your Family Weekend!

Salinna Lor is a freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's addicted to coffee, frozen yogurt, vloggers, Kate Spade, and writing. You can catch her on Instagram or Twitter (@salinnalor)
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!