Everything You Need To Know About Grammy Award Winner: Kacey Musgraves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When I was watching the 61st Grammy Awards, I was extremely excited to see Kacey Musgraves be nominated in so many categories, better yet, win four Grammys! I quickly realized though, that a lot of people don’t know who she was. I got multiple texts expressing their confusion and saw even more confusion on social media. Although all the other nominated artists were magnificent contenders, Kacey Musgraves made a name for herself in both country and the music industry in general. 

Kacey Musgraves was born in Golden, Texas and was first discovered when she was only 18-years-old. In 2008, she released her first EP, Acoustic Remixedwhere her cover of Apologize by OneRepublic hit the Billboards top 25. In 2012, she joined Lady Antebellum on tour which led to the release of her first album in 2014, Same Trailer Different ParkHer debut album gained recognition from Rolling Stone Magazine saying that Musgraves was “the loudest symbols of young country musicians embracing progressive values.” That same year, Musgraves was nominated for four Grammys during the 56th Grammy Awards tying both Taylor Swift and Lorde for the most nominations for a woman. 

During 2018, Musgraves dropped her third studio album, Golden Hourwhich features her Grammy award-winning song, Space Cowboy, and other singles from High Horse to Slow Burn. For Musgraves, Golden Hour was the album that reflected the love in her life after just getting married in 2017. 

Musgrave’s career has surely proven country music to be as strong as ever after winning four Grammys during the 61st Grammy Awards with Golden Hour. Her music challenges the traditions of country as she discusses topics like LGBTQ rights, sex, and even critiques religion. Not only does Musgraves triumph American country music in general, but she also represents the force of women in the music industry. She’s surely a force to be reckoned with and we’ll be sure to be hearing more of her soon.

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Hannah Zhang is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University majoring in Economics and on the pre-med track. She has a deep love for Frank Ocean, flaming hot cheetos, and food. She enjoys Dad jokes and a good read!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!